Jawbone Canyon: Two/Three weeks away

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Final preparations have begun for the annual nine-day Thank and Spank. For all of us in the Northwest, and all of the "local" SoCal fruitcakes, Thanksgiving week in Jawbone Canyon has become an institution not to be missed. For me it all began about ten or twelve years ago while learning how to ride with my evil twin brother "Cornfed" (we're originally from Iowa). We hooked up with the aformentioned loonies and have been riding/racing ever since. This year's NW roster includes almost a dozen ETRA members and some "special guests". Bonehead will bring his Turkey Bomb cooker and I have been nominated to haul the keg of "real" beer down. Also, Rapids and I have put the finishing touches on the Team W.H.O. (Well Hung Over) riding gear for the combined assualt on The Wall (video cameras will be rolling). For those of you who aren't interested in crinkling your pipe or gouging(not scratching) your plastic there will be plenty of "realistic" people with us who want to actually go for a ride in the dez. I, for one, CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on the loud handle and do some serious hillclimbimg. We will be there on Friday night, Nov 16, and will stay through the next weekend, Nov 25. I'll put up some ETRA pie-plates from the Jawbone Canyon road after it leaves the blacktop. More directions will be available soon. Happy trails!

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Endo,
I will be at Dove on tues the 20th most of the victims won't be arriving till Wed night.Maybe I will ride over to Jawbone after I get our spot saved, maybe take a ride to Kelso and do the impossible.

Rapids

Jul 24, 2001
I too, can't wait until Jawbone. Not because of the awesome trail rides, not because of the killer hillclimbs, and not because of the spectacle the entire event, but just so Endo will SHUT THE HELL UP with all these posts. Sheesh, you would think that the guy's been locked in cave for the past year. The fact is he rides more than any 3 people I know!

P.S. I also have to listen to this incessant babbling for the entire 15 hour trip down there. That's why I left a day early last year! ;)

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I'll be going out this Sunday for a wee look see, weather is perfect although a little rain would be nice.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Sounds good brett r, are you going to be in the "dustbowl" or somewhere on the fringes? I'll look for you tues/wed. My riding number is 2u, it's on all three bikes right now so if you see me give a holler. Kiwi, while you're out there this weekend, how about getting some specific mileages from Mojave to the campsite. I know, it's a lot of work but it sure would help a few people. Rapids, remember, I have the video camera and do all the editing. :eek:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Well sure, but they'll be FORD miles not Dogs or Chebbie miles.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
We only use the dustbowl for entertainment,That place looks like Glamis that weekend. We camp at the end of the canyon a couple miles away from the mess.Kiwi I may be up for Jawbone Sun,also we still want to see the video.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Brett, I'll put the video in the truck - do you know where we park?

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Sunday's not looking good but I will be out for the The Spank n Spank.Do you guy's park between the green mountain and the hillclimb?

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Yes brett r, between the greenie and the Wall but on the Wall side of the ridge (for spectating, of course). My brother and I will be bringing our green Dodge diesel flatbeds. If you get there later in the week you might have to look a little closer for us since our camp gets pretty full by wednesday night. Hi Eel, have we met? Were you there last year? Kiwi left me a message tonight saying it was raining out there, whooppee!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Just got in - perfect conditions out there, zero dust, great traction - might have to take a day off in the week and go out there.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Eric, kiwi, Amiee - what dates do you plan on being there? I might be able to make it for a few days. I'm thinking about heading out Wed. afternoon. Where will be the best place for the "Tent Trash" to set up camp? Are there camp sites or will it be "Jawbone Survivor" type conditions?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Tony I'm not sure when Eddie and I will be there. He has been contracted on a job temporarily in Victorville and may have to work through Thanksgiving. :( He won't be far from Jawbone though so I figure I can take the bikes out there and he can come out and ride when ever he gets the chance. I'd probably cruise out there on T-day.
No campsites and us tent trash types better hope it doesn't get windy! :scream: It will definitely be "Jawbone Survivor" type conditions for those of us without 'deluxe' accommodations. :confused:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hey guys, if ever there was a decent place to camp, Jawbone is the place. One out of ten days are windy this time of year and I suppose one out of twenty are rainy. A good sleeping bag and a warm fire go a long way. If you consider the alternatives, like NOT RIDING, or tenting it in Oregon where MUD exists, well, it's not all that bad. I did it for years and loved every minute of it. When I meet you guys, remind me of the Myron and His Port-a-Pottie Tent Story, you'll laugh hard. From Wednesday on Jawbone gets pretty crowded, a bunch of us will be there the weekend and week before. Cheers

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The earliest I can get out there is Friday in the late afternoon. Will it all be over by then ?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I'm sure we can save you a serving of carnage - there's always a little left over.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I like my carnage bright and early - so you better be prepared to meet the crack of dawn ... nice girl, that dawn.

Top Bottom