Jawbone Classic (TWMC) Sept. 22/23

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
OK; time to test your skills @ the 2001 Jawbone Classic (no, not affiliated w/the dreadful Thank & Spank;).

See http://pw2.netcom.com/~sorudne/events.htm for directions.

The TWMC club in SoCal has been putting this on for ~30 years, a series of mini-events on both days which test your abilities, and is ana bsolute gas to watch and participate in; last year was our 1st, and I filmed my son doing it - will repeat this year with all 3 doing it. (Most other monthly events are timed events; desert enduros, for adults and kids.) Events start mid Sat. afternoon and resume Sun. morning. Descriptions are as follows:

Event #1: MX course (cross country would be more accurate) – a 1-2 mile ribboned & arrowed loop, best of 3 loops. Only one entrant will be on the course @ any one time. Pre-running allowed. Scoring by shortest time/class.

Event #2: Blind Man’s Bluff – a big favorite. A target is placed on the ground in a wide, flat area, some ~100 feet from the start. Leave the start line after donning the darkened goggles; stop when you think you’ve come close to the target. Scoring by closest measured stop to target/class.

Event #3: Buttercup – another favorite. A plastic butter dish is strapped to your front fender with a small loose ball inside. Ride a short prescribed, marked course & try to keep the ball in; if it falls out, stop & put it back in, then continue. Scoring by shortest time to finish/class.

Event #4: Box Ball – In a flat clearing, you’ll be given a ball to kick forward, then around a cone, & back to the start into a your designated box – all the while on or walking your bike. Starts are in groups of three entrants. Scoring by shortest time to complete/class.

Event #5: Blockhead – Ride a short distance to a pile of small blocks. Arrange blocks in pre-described manner, then ride back to start. Scoring by shortest time to complete/class.

Event #6: Widowmaker – the one most spectators desire; a real show – few have topped the hill, tho even the putt-putt ATVers have tried it to inch their scores above other class participants. One chance/entry. Practice allowed. Scoring by highest point up the hill/class.

One event can be thrown out or avoided altogether, and trophies will be given for top finishers/class @ next month’s event. Classes are ATV (kids & adults), junior (kids), beginner (kids), novice, super senior, amateur, expert, masters (the latter five adult classes).

Entrants vary widely from mothers & kids on ATVs to D/37 enduro champs. Competition is fierce yet friendly. All events are spectator friendly & close to camp. A fun time is had by all.

There is a nominal fee ($7) for non-members – a bargain when you consider the organization and joy from participating or even spectating (free). Many DRN members who belong to TWMC would be there and can sponsor those non-club members interested.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

Sounds interesting. My ankle is still a bit swollen from all the jump landings at Starwest on Sunday (gettin' old sucks). Getting into this kind of event should be change of pace (but I doubt it).

#1. Probably no doubles (this could be a blessing)

#2 This is why desert riders can ride in blinding dust.

#3. I'll need to buy a kickstand for this one (I can't get off/on my bike like a normal person)

#4. Probably sounds easier than it is.

#5. Kickstand for this one too.

#6. Sounds like the premier event. hehe :)

I can't say for sure if I'll make it, but I've marked my calendar.

I'll be looking forward to attend your club's enduro in Nov. as well. Maybe I'll
make it to the first check this time. ;)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Thank & Spank Lite

Originally posted by holeshot
#1. Probably no doubles (this could be a blessing)

None whatsoever.

#2 This is why desert riders can ride in blinding dust.

Lol.

#3. I'll need to buy a kickstand for this one (I can't get off/on my bike like a normal person)

There will be someone there to keep it upright for you.

#4. Probably sounds easier than it is.

Actually, the one that produces goon-like performance. Imagine kicking a ball w/MX boots...

#5. Kickstand for this one too.

Ditto assistance.

#6. Sounds like the premier event. hehe :)

It's the last event of the weekend (Sun. @ noon), perhaps the most demanding and memorial.

I'll be looking forward to attend your club's enduro in Nov. as well. Maybe I'll
make it to the first check this time. ;)

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
The Training Wheels are a good club. I happened across the J-bone Classic a few years ago and had a blast. The hillclimb is indeed the one to watch. Back then they used "The Wall", which just so happens to be the same spot we always camp at. The Ghost Rider Enduro was always one of my favorite D-37 races. I hope you guys have fun while I'm up here in the woods next weekend. Thank and Spank/2 months thread will be posted shortly. I hope to see some of you guys in November.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by endoqwest
The Ghost Rider Enduro was always one of my favorite D-37 races.

Announcement coming soon for this Best of the West *and* D/37 points event. It's scheduled for Oct. 21/22. Gad, they've been sponsoring it for 22 years now! My boys & I will be flagging the road crossings.

My oldest & I did some trail scouting two weekends ago w/the loop captains - should be another fine enduro this October.

Talk about a contrast: One of the younger loop captains used a handle bar-mounted GPS, whilst the older fellas knew the area like their backyards, even told some tall tales like "yea, in '79 (?!) the UEA/Checkers/fill-in-the-blank-club ran us up this hill/down this wash/thru this gulley". Everytime one of the older guys got tired of the chattering of the one talker-type in the group, he'd hit the e-button on his loud-piped DRZ (lol); time to move on.

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
hooked

Originally posted by endoqwest
The hillclimb is indeed the one to watch. Back then they used "The Wall", which just so happens to be the same spot we always camp at.

:eek:

Conjures visions of those hillclimbs where they need big grappling hooks to catch the riders bike (or rider) on a failed climb.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Update

Got the newsletter yesterday; here's the scoop:

Sat. 3pm: MX (cross-country)

Sun. 8am start: Buttercup, backwards (?), slalom, blindman, box ball, ping pong ball/spoon (?), wheelie, and widowmaker events.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I too just got my newsletter. It sounds like it will be a blast. However I have a wedding to attend. But I will for sure be at the Ghost Rider to help our club host.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by placelast
Ron, don't know if U R going for sure, but it looks like I will have to bail - fam. situation.
WELL! :think

Thinks worked out well.:D See ride report (when I get to it).

Top Bottom