holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
My 9 year old and I left early Sat. to attend the TWMC Jawbone Classic, expecting to see Placelast and Co. there (no show because something came up). Never-the-less, I dropped his name to get on the good side everybody.;)

There were several events - two were a bit serious (the timed cross country event and the hill climb) and the rest were "all in fun" type.

One of the events was a small "trials" course, which I kept clean until the last few feet, when I somehow managed to launch my bike sideways and do a ridiculous prattfall/roll into the gully.:silly:

Then there was the event were you had to slalom, get off your bike, spin around ten times and run back like drunken biker trash. My daughter beat me on this one.

The last event was the hillclimb, and I hoped to redeem myself there. No such luck. About half way up, I got some unexpected traction and launched my bike into the air like a missle.:eek: I should have taken a few practice runs (I was trying to save on mangled parts).

Anyway, it was a great event to bring kids and introduce them to the joys of dirt riding and a little competition. My kid can't quit talking about it (I've received instruction on weight positioning for hillclimbing :) ).

Last edited:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
'shot,

Thanks for the writeup. My 3 boys have been talking about it since last year, ya-da-da, so it came as a great dissapointment when they couldn't go. Maybe next year they'll finish their homework on time & not catch colds (?!)in the 2nd week of school.

Last year I filmed the entire event, tho only of my oldest's efforts. Whiles I found a fine perch on the hill ~1/3 from the base - it was a loooooooggg way up - I soon realized it may very well be over his head (literally); I had visions of lunar-launching his bike, busted arms/legs, wife's scorn, etc. In the mists of my thoughts they started him - it was too late to back down now, so I filmed his ascent; quite exciting, but spectacular no launches - a few others, yes; sorry to hear about yours. Did you & the bike make it out w/minimum damage?

Chum': It was @ Jawbone Canyon, north of Mojave. Sorry to say it's only once a year. The rest of the club events - you & everyone else is welcome - are enduros, one/month thru June '02. See http://pw2.netcom.com/~sorudne/twmc.html

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

The hill was reasonably safe (and big), but that's what dirt bikes are for (trying a dang near impossible obstacle). Nothing a hammer won't fix.

I'll have to remember to sit on the gas cap next time, or maybe leave a bald rear tire on.:confused:

Last edited:
Top Bottom