endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Here we go again. A number of Northwesterners are heading down to drier latitudes for the entire Thanksgiving week. We always camp opposite "The Wall", a few miles into Jawbone Canyon..
We usually ride the "extreme" trails and do a LOT of hillclimbing.
Any takers?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Bummer, I'm going to be down there the week before Thanksgiving (15-19). Otherwise i'd swing by and ride for a while.

-Maurice

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Huh, huh, huh, pick me, pick me :aj: :aj:

Looks to be the best weather we have had at Jawbone Spanksgiving in about 10 years - it's rained several times there already. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Last edited:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hey Kiwi, I've been looking at footage from the past ten years at Jawbone, even back in '94 when we shot a tape for Jared. I'm transferring it all to DVD.
We need to give Tim a nickname, too. Cheers

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Zero dust this weekend - big dark marks in the dirt

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
If I can get an SA for the YZ I'll go

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Let's see. Spend Thanksgiving in the comfort of my own home surrounded by all my family members, some that I have not seen for months. Enjoy a traditional turkey day feast and all the other good stuff.

or

I can hangout in the middle of the dirty, dusty, sandy desert with guys with names like Kiwi, The Mouth, Dopey, The German, Bombadier, The Donkey, The Eel, and MXBundy.

I choose JAWBONE! :yeehaw:

tator

Feb 17, 2004
Does Jawbone get very crowed on big weekends, like Spanksgiving? Last year we went just above Dove Springs and it was pretty nice, but I think Jawbone has better riding.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
KiwiBird said:
Not crowded where we ride.
Of course not. We spend most of the time bulldoging down some insanely steep, rocky, silty hill that Kiwi leads us to. Then he wants to turnaround and go up it. :yikes:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Cool Beans Thumbs. What kind of bike do you have now? Does it have any scratches, dents or gouges?

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Who will be around for Friday or Sat, Ill bring leftovers, Turkey on the smoker makes some fine samiches. Smoked turkey soup. MMmmmmm.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I'll be there from 11/20 until 11/28 so bring it all!!

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
It looks like 2 stroke and I might hook up to come out Fri. We'll hammer it out as it gets closer.

Kiwi keeps ramblin on about some little hills they found. (Of course he gets excited about a freeway overpass) Thumbs whines on about a few rocks scattered about a trail or 2. So I figured I'd come out and see what all the fuss was about. :p

Hopefully someone might be able to direct us to some fun trails :clue: :rotfl:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Someone who rides better than me once gave me a piece of advice:

Never ride with Kiwi :yikes: :laugh:

Where can I get a pipe guard, mine pipe is spankin new doma. Will it last a ride???????

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
2strok4fun said:
Someone who rides better than me once gave me a piece of advice:

Never ride with Kiwi :yikes: :laugh:

Where can I get a pipe guard, mine pipe is spankin new doma. Will it last a ride???????

They say that just because he takes soooooo long to get ready. Especially in Kenndy Meadows. :p

I'm hopin he might have some game for me :nener:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
KiwiBird said:
New pipe? :) Directly to the rock garden!!!! :rotfl:

Yep, ding ding ding. But just maybe Ill iniciate it at the Wicked Bird on the 14th.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Hate to throw a wrench in the works, cause I know Jawbone is Kiwi's paradise, but the trail closures are getting out of hand.
I was there last weekend, and every(no kidding) good secret singletrack area was closed with new Desert Protection Act posts. The trails that were open are so whooped out that you get physically exhausted from pinning it to stay on top of whoops. It was as if all the tree-huggers knew exactly where to find all the rarely used trails and posted signs to keep us out, i.e. the singletrack behind San Antonio mine. Even expanded fencing has been installed above Butterbredt Spring. Although from the looks of most of closed trails and the perfect condition of the dirt, the signs didn't work. That only makes the eventual green vs. us clash worse.
I'm almost resigned to giving up on Jawbone, at least until Boxer and Feinstein are gone.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
At this point It's looking like a Randsburg/Trona Thanksgiving riding weekend for me. After all the rain Trona is going to be a blast although the brothers are talking about trying somewhere nearby Trona and new. Since there are a lot of trail closures out at Jawbone why dont you guys come on over to Trona?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Directions for the stupid/brave/needy and most especially anybody who says "I can climb any hill and go anywhere YOU can go " - we really like you.

Whiners and those who get scared when they can't see their truck WILL be accomodated.

From the north end of Mojave at the Autozone 14/58 highway split zero your trip meter.

Take highway 14 north towards Mammoth/Reno

At mile 18.25 turn left at Jawbone Canyon.

Continue past the cattle crossing at mile 22.1 where the road turns to dirt.

At mile 22.7 turn right on to SC176, go across the wash and follow the sign saying SC176 goes straight.

At 23.05 make a left turn where you can see the Restroom building and go directly past that towards the small hills opposite the big hillclimb hill.

Our camp is at the base of the small hills .

Look for white Dodge Ram with DRN sticker in rear window, green flatbed Dodge with "Gemini Concrete Pumping" on door.

Everyone is welcome. Bring firewood and anything else you need/want to consume.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
KiwiBird said:
Directions for the stupid/brave/needy and most especially anybody who says "I can climb any hill and go anywhere YOU can go " - we really like you.

Bring it on :worship: :moon:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
KiwiBird said:

Whiners and those who get scared when they can't see their truck WILL be accomodated.

I dont want my mouth to write checks my skills cant cash, so Ill be somwhere inbetween.

KiwiBird said:
Everyone is welcome. Bring firewood and anything else you need/want to consume.

If anyone wants to pick up wood and will venture to South LA (105 & 710) let me know ahead of time, the price is right, free.

Scar, I didnt have chance to talk to you yesterday, so far Im still on for Friday.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Me too. we shoud car pool, maybe I'll meet you at your place?

Top Bottom