JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
If you clean and scuff the surface it should work. You have to remove the cover of corse and get a good edge inside and out to bond to.
I Got these Alumilite brazing rods at the county fair last year and they are sweet for Mag, Ti, and Au brazing with a mini butane or propane torch. I cant find a site though :(

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
JasonJ is correct. JB will hold great if you scuff the surface to give the JB something to grip to.

I've been looking for the brazing rods. How easily are they to use?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Im no welder, but these melt at low temp and flow easy with no flux, once it sets like 5 mins, its good to like 2000 degrees and is harder than most light cast alloys. The dude at the fair put a nub of it on an Aluminum irrigation pipe, let it cool, grabbed it with a vice grip and ripped a hole out of the pipe! The bond is stonger than the aluminum. You have to V out for stuff like break levers or cases. I cant find a site for what I have, here are some similar products I found searching, I have not tried them though.

http://www.muggyweld.com/super5.html

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/aluminum_aero_braze.html

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I am a welder and I can tell you that stuff is definitely not welding, as they call it. It's good for what it is...little more than JB weld...and even that's questionable. I guess for many without the ability to do actual welding, it can be helpful, but I would never use that stuff on anything that I really had to depend on way back in the woods. For a crankcase cover that doesn't have to hold any pressure, it will likely do ok. One problem with that stuff is that if it fails to work, you will have contaminated the base metal so badly that it will be much harder to get a real weld done on it if it fails or breaks again.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
kawdude said:
As as welder, what is the best way to weld aluminum?

TIG weld.

Magnesium can also be TIG welded.

As a welder, I would not recommend using an open flame on anything with magnesium in it. Get it a little too hot and you could wind up with the worlds biggest sparkler. :aj:

Just my $ .02

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
Tig aluminum my favourite, if youve never welded before i wouldnt suggest trying it out on anything important, aluminum is tricky dissipates heat alot, and melts fast.... kinda like welding an ice cream sandwich !

If your going for it, alot of heat and move fast......

good luck

Rustykdx

Jan 29, 2004
welding aluminum

preheat the item you are welding in an oven, then after the welding is done, let the item cool as slowly as possible, to help prevent cracking and warpage. :cool:

WillyM

May 18, 2004
Welding

I am also a welder and to weld those cases are a royal pain in the ass for someone who knows how to do it, it seems that you never can get all of the oil out of the metal.
clean the case as best you can ,and take it to a pro.

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Thanks guys! How much does a small TIG welder go for and what brand do you recommend?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
kawdude said:
Thanks guys! How much does a small TIG welder go for and what brand do you recommend?

kawdude.

These machines are fairly expensive. A new machine can go from $2,500 up to 5,000 depending on how many Amps and features you need. :ohmy:
Plus you will have to buy or rent a bottle of Aragon gas.

Miller or Linclon make good machines.

Used machines can be had for about $900 to $1,500 and they usually come with a bottle and torch. Test it first before you buy it.

You might want to look into a welding class at your local Community College before investing in your own machine.

Or, you could just buy a new side case. ;) :laugh:

Gotta agree with WillyM. Welding mag is a royal pain. You have to grind the impurities out of the metal and still wind up with oil in the weld. You almost have to boil the oil out as you go. :aj:

Again, don't use an open flame on magnesium. It can catch on fire and throwing water on it only makes it worse.

Ol'89r

Top Bottom