jb weld?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Quickly - Dremel tool with a stone.

Slowly - a decent rough(it won't let me use the b word associated with rough files) file.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Yeah that's the one. The first time I typed it in and entered it just came up all *******. We use a similar product to JB weld at work for metal repairs and that's how we remove excess after it cures. We use a b@stard file first to get the bulk of it and then switch to a smoother file to finish. The Dremel works well too with a stone but the stones get clogged up fast. The file you can just clean the grooves with a wire brush and start over. Are you applying it and trying to get a smooth finish or trying to remove a previous repair?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Then I would say to use the Dremel w/a stone to get the majority of it out and then swap to one of the smaller metal tips that will allow you to get into the smaller cracks and places like that. An pneumatic die grinder works well if you have one. You can get come pretty aggressive carbide bits that will eat fast. I just don't know what you have readily available to you.

If you are going back with JB weld make sure you get it back to clean metal and wipe it all down good with acetone. When you put the new stuff on, wet your finger with the acetone and you can smooth the surface of the JB weld after it's on. Makes it look better and you don't have to do has much filing after it cures.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Heat from a propane torch will work too. Just make sure you don't have any oil, gas, etc around where you're heating it. Use a wire brush afterwards to clean it off.

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
use a wire wheel !!! either on a dremmel, or a drill ,or air tool
there are different types of wire wheels get one stiff
this will work greatand will not remove matierial like a grinder

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
crack rock said:
could using a torch possibly damage the aluminum?
Just don't concentrate the flame in one spot for too long, just long enough for the JB weld to blister. I use a torch all the time to expand the alum to get bearings out.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…