mxrcr4

Mar 14, 2005
Okay guys, after much reading here about the jetting troubles on the 05 KX 250s, I ordered the JD jetting kit last week. I have tried every combination of jetting specs on here to no avail, my 05 still was blubbering and sputtering on the bottom all the way through mid. Ordered the JD kit on Tuesday afternoon, received it Thursday in Alabama from Washington State! Put the standard suggested settings in Friday night, then raced 6 motos on Saturday. I have to say it was spot on perfect! It completely eliminated any weaknesses in the jetting that I had dealt with since new. It was so crisp it would not start well when cold with the choke on! I started the bike chokeless on the first kick Friday evening and Saturday morning! Just wanted to say thanks and if you have been fighting the same gremlins, get the kit and start enjoying riding the bike and not working on it!

AST

May 5, 2003
Are you running the stock pipe?Did you go with the 165 or 168 main jet?I also got the jd kit for my 05 but I had to richen it a tad because of the pc pipe. I recently moved the clip to#4 on the blue needle and bumped up the mj to a 175 to see how the bike performed. To my surprise, it seems perfect.I thought for sure it would sputter in the mid range and be way rich on top. The bike pulls even better up top now and the mids are spot on under race conditions.The jd kit is a must have for the 05!

mxrcr4

Mar 14, 2005
I am running the stock pipe. I went with the 165 main as I had the 160 in before and the top seemed okay. Maybe I should try the 168? Hate to mess with it now it runs so good! I went with the blue needle in the 3rd position. Any thoughts? Also, running straight C-12 with 4oz of Maxima 927 per gallon.

AST

May 5, 2003
I also run the straight c12 (with maxima super m at 32:1) . I would guess that your 165 should be good. I just know that I went with a 168 to start with(with the pc pipe) and it seemed good but I did notice it seemed like it was running a tad lean on top.I contacted James at jd jetting and he said to try going to the 4th clip and then going up on the main until the performance started to decline.I went with a 170 and it pulled better.I then thought I would try a 172 to see if it was too rich.It pulled even better and seemed to run a little cooler.I then went with a 175 and it ran even better on top. I decided to leave it there because it was running so well. Are you using the 45 pilot and what is your airscrew setting? Dont you love how well the jd kit works!!! I was sick of the rich stock needle!

gargamel6

Oct 19, 2004
I am so freakin' glad to see this thread! I have been dealing with this for a while. I have been thinking about getting the JD kit, now I am sold for sure. Do you guys just do MX....any woods riding with it? I see you are runnning race fuel, I have been running pump gas so far. at some point I guess I should make the leap to race fuel!! Going to order the kit now.

mxrcr4

Mar 14, 2005
I have the 45 pilot in, not sure if I want to try the 42, but I have one. Air screw is 1 3/4 which is where I put it to begin with. Man, I am leary of changing anything cause it runs so good! But I would hate to miss out on some cleaner jetting or more power.......oh yeah, MX only.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
mxrcr4 said:
I have the 45 pilot in, not sure if I want to try the 42, but I have one. Air screw is 1 3/4 which is where I put it to begin with. Man, I am leary of changing anything cause it runs so good! But I would hate to miss out on some cleaner jetting or more power.......oh yeah, MX only.

Theres your answer, it sounds like it is runnning great the way you have it. Just alittle reassurance

AST

May 5, 2003
yeah just mx for me.Mxrcr4, I would leave it there if you are happy. Does it seem like it runs hot? If not, I would leave it. Anyone who has the 05 kx250,get the jd kit.You will love it.

gargamel6

Oct 19, 2004
Guess we'll see how it works in the woods! JD says it should be good. Maybe after this I will be able to get more than 1 ride out of my plug! hopefully I will have it installed before the weekend.
haven't done more than move the clip so far, any install tips???

AST

May 5, 2003
gargamel6 said:
Guess we'll see how it works in the woods! JD says it should be good. Maybe after this I will be able to get more than 1 ride out of my plug! hopefully I will have it installed before the weekend.
haven't done more than move the clip so far, any install tips???
nah.It's simple to install it.Pull the carb,take the pilot jet out with a screwdriver.Put the 45 pilot in.Take the main out with a 6mm and install the 168.Next if you have moved the clip on your stock needle,then you know how to remove the needle.Put the blue needle in with the clip on #3.Set your airscrew at 1.5 turns out.Put the carb back in and go enjoy that bike! Its very simple :nod:

motolink

Apr 15, 2004
AST , have you had any experience with 2004 RM250 with the JD Jetting kit. I have orderd a kit, but keen to get some feed back from someone who has used one, My RM 250 has a V Force3, cleaned up cylinder , was going to install a YZ 250 reed block spacer. Only MX racing.

AST

May 5, 2003
no sorry. I have not had any expirence with the jd kit on a RM.If it works like it does on the kx,you will love it.

Top Bottom