Jeff Emig to Race Washougal...amateur day

bwes93

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2000
Former Outdoor National and Supercross Series champion Jeff Emig will knock the cobwebs out of his gear in a couple weeks and run amateur day at the Washougal Outdoor National. Our ace-in-the-hole source and Emig confidant Tim Dixon relayed the news to us this morning. Emig will run in the 250 over 25 expert class.

To prepare himself for the race, his first this year, Emig will be training with DC Shoes boss Ken Block. The two will be riding dirt bikes in the morning and wakeboarding in the afternoon.

Got this from www.racerxill.com

It's good to see Jeff is still racing!!!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Don't call it a comeback!

WOOHOO! I was always a fan of Emig's. If he can finish the race without a life-threatening injury, maybe he'll think about coming back. Damon did it, so why can't Jeff?

Now, where did I stash my Afro?

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
maybe he'll think about coming back. Damon did it, so why can't Jeff?

Julius, Jeff cashed in a rather huge insurance policy he had on himself in case a career ending injury occurred (which did happen as you know). So as much as we would all love to see that, he can't race a professional event at the level he was at or he gets sued by the insurance company. Kind of a double edged sword . A complete bummer if you ask me, it must be hard to have all that talent and you can't use it like you used too:(

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
To bad about the insurance thing. I always thought that Jeff E. seemed like the coolest MX guy you could ever meet. I could see sitting down in a bar and having a few beers with him. There aren't to many (pro) MX guys that give you that sort of vibe.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Yeah, Jeff is very cool, confident and reserved . Not many like him in this sport. I'm sure he'll be around racing somewhere though, just not in the limelight.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I always was a big Emig fan. I felt kinda let down with his arrest and then I was impressed with how he was getting it back on track with the US Open win and his upcoming return to SX and MX the next year. Unfortunately that was something I never got to see as the injuries came about. Both races I was ale to attend that Jeff raced he struggled in(98 and 99 Seattle SX's). I would have loved to have been able to see Fro and MC going at it during the 96 nationals with both of them on top of their game. Hopefully Jeff can make it through the race fine. I've seen some pics of him riding since he injured his back and he looked like the same old Jeff. My brother may be racing on ameteur day at Washougal, now I just need to convince him to race over 25 250 Expert instead of 125 Beginer.;)

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Re: Don't call it a comeback!

Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
If he can finish the race without a life-threatening injury, maybe he'll think about coming back. Damon did it, so why can't Jeff?

Please don't do it Fro. It's not worth it.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
It will be fun to see him out there. I'm also glad that he is not riding against me in the 30+ A class..........

The class Emig will race in is formally called 25+ A/B, which is open to any 125cc bike and above, Pro and Int combined.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind sitting next to Emig on the starting line..........

erik_mt

Nov 6, 2000
I didn't see Emig race, but some of the guys we were camping with watched him. They said he looked awesome and blew away the class he was in. They had Jeff on the track PA on sunday and he said he is permanently retired from pro racing. Others have mentioned that he got a big insurance settlement on a "career ending" injury so he can't race pro again without jeopardizing that.

-Erik

Kizmen

Aug 9, 2001
I was just so happy to see Jeff be able to race again for the right reason, because he loves it!! Without the promise of a paycheck. Retiring enabled him to get back to the beginning of his career, riding just for fun.

osheen, did you get to line up next to him in the +30?

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
There was one rider between Jeff and I at the line. After the gate dropped, I never saw him again. I finished 7th overall. He was only two-thirds of a lap ahead of me at the finish. ;) He was so much faster than everyone else it was hard to gauge how fast he was actually going.

Top Bottom