kdxcw

Mar 5, 2000
What is the pipe guard made of? What is the difference between the Fredette and the maier mx style rear fender(fit finish color quality?)

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
The pipe guard is some kind of fiberglass. They fit real nice, But they smell awful the first couple of rides :) I dont know about the fenders.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I actually made my own pipe guard using fiberglass mating and resin. I just wrapped my pipe in tin foil then started to put on layers of mating and resin. After a few layers I took it off the pipe and just kept building on the guard till it was the thickness I wanted it. After it was nice and hard I just spray painted it with high temp BBQ paint (black). I also incorperated hose calmps through the fiber glass when I was building it so the hose clamps arnt visible on the front of the guard. When it was all said and done it cost me about $15 and about 5-6 hours of labor. In the future I will get quicker at it but I made some mistakes so I had to spend close to 3 hours sanding it to get a smooth surface and a more finished look. It fits perfect and protects the pipe very well. And it brings the noise down quite a bit on an aftermarket pipe, so put one of these on a stock KDX pipe and you'll be totally silent:D
And about the smell, there is none!! None at all. When I stop after riding to take a break I can very faintly smell the resin but I barely notice it. Its on a FMF Burly pipe that I always used to dent and pay like $30 to get it repiared. I had the pipe for like 3 months and I had to get it repaired twice. But I will keep testing the guard and then maybe sell them to my friends:cool:

KDXChris

Jan 15, 2001
I think Fredette sells the Maeir rear fender. I have one and it is ok. The quality, finish, color, etc aren't nearly as nice as factory though.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm relatively sure the fredetter fender is made by maier. I have one of the older style maier pipe guards on my Can-Am, made of some sort of metal (not aluminum but not stainless) and it'll take a heck of a hit with no damage, I need to get one for my KDX though.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Will the pipe guard fit a fmf torque pipe ok?
Im sure Fredette makes pipe guards that fit all the popular brands and models of pipes and since the FMF Torque pipe is a very popular pipe with KDXers they probably make aguard that'll fit fine:D

Top Bottom