MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Mods, Jeremy Wilkey has stated that he believes that the answer to this question is more of a riding style thing that McGrath does not a suspension thing that's why I am asking a similar question here.

I know we are talking about a fantastic rider, but really at that level, they all are. What I have noticed while watching the races is that whenever Jeremy goes through the whoops sections his bike stays perfectly straight. If you watch any of the other riders, their bikes sway from side to side, the rear kicking back and forth. What is different about his riding style, body positioning, that keeps his bike straight while everyone elses kicks back and forth? What is he doing?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Vytas
He is going SLOWER than the faster riders!!
Not through the whoops. Definately not through the whoops.

spy-yamaha

Feb 24, 2002
Lol Vytas McGrath is probably the fastest through the whoops. I was able to make it to 2 of the Anehiem rounds, after watching practice and the race he is defeintely the WHOOP MASTER!

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
In the rounds that I saw, MC was usually losing time in the whoops as opposed to RC, Vuillemin, Pastrana.

spy-yamaha

Feb 24, 2002
lol man ask anyone that knows anything about Supercross and the riders, and they will tell you McGrath just has the best style and skill when it comes to whoops or anyother obsticle on the track. just because he doesnt win doesnt mean he is slow. He will win again. I cant wait tell the day he proves everyone wrong about the age.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I believe the styl MC uses in the whoops is what they call "Dusting the tops". He stays in a nuetral position because this positions his body for the quickest reaction time should he have to move the bike to a level position. The ideal situation would to place your front wheel about six inches from the top of each whoop, allowing your rear wheel to closely follow. But hey, if we all could do it. We'd be, well, halfway there. :aj:

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
For all of you that don't KNOW anything about supercross here are the facts:
Last year MC #2, this year #3. MC was on the podium only three(3) times. Face the facts - age is a factor. As long as there are young guys, like RC, on the track MC will not come back. Look back at the past winners of supercross. After two or three years there is always a NEW CHAMPION. Why? Because the past champions get older and the NEW BLOOD gets faster. I have been involved with MX since '76, so I do know about MX and SX. And to set the facts straight I did not say that MC was slow, I said that the other riders were FASTER!!!

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I would say that age is a factor, so MC must work harder than the children, but it would be my GUESS that he doesn't have the same motivation that he used to.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks Wraith.

When I have reviewed old (from this season) SX tapes, Jeremy From what I see always gains in the whoop sections, obviously he is loosing more than he is gaining in the other sections around the track. My question is strictly about his style in the whoop section. Overall there are two guys that are faster than Jeremy this year, but in the whoops, my video tapes show him as going faster. I will also add that his bike goes much straighter than any of the others.

Do you guys notice anything that he does different in the whoop sections. Watch your video tapes, you'll see what I mean.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT

Do you guys notice anything that he does different in the whoop sections. Watch your video tapes, you'll see what I mean.

OH, OH, I know, I know.

He unweights the bike as he enter s the whoops. This way the bike is light and the suspension is unloaded. He doesn't pull up on the front at all, he hits everyone of them with his front wheel. Most others may try to loft a couple at a time. Once he gets the bike to settle into a good position he doesn't lean to far back or forward, but stays in nuetral (in the middle of the bike) position all the way thru. Watch RC. This is NOT the case with him. He's good. But he could benifit from MC

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Suspension is set up for looking good in the whoops.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Yeah, but 3 foot deep whoops? Even the pros have been complaing about how they have been laying the whoop section out for the 02 SX season. :eek:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think Jeremy may have commented on this very topic last year sometime. I think he mentioned how MC could have it valved differently but chooses to have it work well in the whoop sections rather than the more aggressive set-up.

I saw an A regional arenacross rider wheelie the whole section this year and was mucho fast with that style. (at LEAST 3'ft. whoops)
He got in some company one lap and tried to blitz them...mistake.

Last edited:

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
For Jeremys visit to OZ a local magazine set up a practice track for him, this track had a killer set of whoops, real long section and real big whoops.
They had a frame by frame shot of MC going through them, wish I could post it, super consistent, smooth, stable, looked wicked.
Local A grader tried to follow him a couple of times, ended up giving up.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
What format do you have it in? You could email it....

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Do it to it. Get back to us when you can. I look forward to it. Thanks.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Or you guys could go to Albees site called www.howtoride.com
And read where MC tells you in depth (with photos) how he attacks the whoops. ;)

Top Bottom