Jeremy McGrath said... (not a spoiler for TX SX)

KawBoy

Aug 11, 1999
“I have been here for 10 years and the only place I have to go is down.”

Can you say, pity party?

Not the words of a true champion... Did Hannah feel sorry for himself when he started finishing further back in the pack? No way, he went out and raced several more seasons and continued giving it his best. Same with several other former champs.

Not MC, if that quote is any clue. I respect what he's done for the sport, but statements like that detract from the overall picture. Why not go out and continue putting top-5 finishes and be happy about it? He's got no reason to be saying crap like that.

------------------
Mike / 1988 KX500 / www.georgiaoffroad.com

[This message has been edited by KawBoy (edited 04-22-2001).]

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
But didn't he also say "I've finished second before, and I came back the next year to win."

------------------
'00 Honda XR400
'81 Bultaco Sherpa T
'73 CZ 380
'70 Bultaco Sherpa T
WesBaca.com

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
“I have been here for 10 years and the only place I have to go is down.”
As cold, hard, and egotistical as it may sound, it is a true hard fact.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

[This message has been edited by yarbonwick (edited 04-22-2001).]

zeroo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 31, 2000
Thats too bad you feel that way.Its a big adjustment hes going through,one that none of us will ever know,and I think MC is playing it out well.Besides,lots of statements are said in interviews that can be taken in many ways,this one happens to be a fact.Hes not quit yet.

------------------
01 520sx
01 Lc50SX

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Seems like a huge stretch to make that into a negative. I think the MC detractors are dying to have fodder to criticize him. And since he hasn't provided any, because he's acting like a champ, a vet, and a gentleman, they are really grasping at straws. He says the track was hard, he gets nailed. Says it was easy, gets nailed. Doesn't say anything, you'd say he was hiding. Heck, who was it that said he would fake an injury and blame a loss of the points total on that? (Well of course that hasn't happened).

The guy goes out there every week and tries hard, even though he knows the glory years MAY be behind him. The fact that he has a little self-realization (it is indeed a fact that an aging vet who's been on top for a decade only has one place to go -- eventually) is to his credit, in my book.

------------------

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
I think that he's come to the realization that kings don't live forever and castles made of sand slip into the sea eventually. :)

He knows he won't be here forever, and he surely knows there is virtually nothing he can do that can top the things he's already accomplished. But even so, his reign has already lasted longer than most.

-KTMKyd

------------------
[This life has been changed by Jesus Christ (evident 04-05-2001).]

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Watched the race on ABC today, and MC stated he WILL be back next year! Don't count him out just yet. Remember, this year Ricky was the one with the motivation. If MC is seriously motivated,like he was after he gave it up to Emig a couple of years ago, don't count him out!

------------------

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I think this year was kind of a reality check for MC. Finally, somebody has the motivation and desire to step up, train hard and challenge him, even beat him. If anything, this will just motivate him to work like crazy in the off-season, and come back next year to put up a fight.

I'm a really, really big fan of Jeremy, and I guarantee he won't go quietly.

------------------
Kevin
1999 XR600R
badassxr600r@aol.com

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by LongTime:

The guy goes out there every week and tries hard, even though he knows the glory years MAY be behind him. The fact that he has a little self-realization (it is indeed a fact that an aging vet who's been on top for a decade only has one place to go -- eventually) is to his credit, in my book.

I'm with you man. I hope Jeremy does come back next year. If he does it will verify what he's said in the past about his heroes retiring to early (and how he didn't want to do that). I want to see him stand behind his words. I don't think he stands a chance against RC but if he keeps trying for at least another year he deserves more credit than those old has been riders that always find a way to complain about the current crop of riders.

------------------

200Proof

Feb 27, 2001
I believe MC will be back next year and will perform better than he did this year. I think he got to comfortable with the fact that no one could keep up with him and got kinda lazy in the off season. RC came into this season with fire in his eyes, he trained hard and competed in the outdoors rather than sitting around waiting for the SX season. Jeremy has the talent - he will just have to train harder in order to compensate for father time kreeping along.

------------------
2000 YZ-250

KawBoy

Aug 11, 1999
I stand corrected, and offer my apologies for sounding like I was attacking MC.

Here's the entire segment of his reply (from motoworld):

"People keep saying a lot of things about me this and that," said McGrath of talk that he is not on top right now. "I have been here for 10 years. I only have one way to go, and that is down. It is bound to happen sometime. RC had a great series. He is dominating right now. When I was 21 no one was beating me for sure. I know I have all the championships, outdoors and Supercross, but I am not going to come out here and just ride around. I do have something to prove each weekend. I am a long lasting champion. Next year I am going to work even harder. I am not going to let him have it. I think he won by big points this year. With the exception of RC everyone else is far behind me in points. I have a good job and I am not complaining."

That put in perspective, I do not think he was complaining or feeling sorry for himself, quite the opposite. He said that while he will most likely be dropping off the pace in the years to come, he will continue to ride just as hard. Good deal, Jeremy.

------------------
Mike / 1988 KX500 / www.georgiaoffroad.com

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
I beleive MC has been great for the sport. I thank him for that. Recently I have heard a lot of talk about the fact that he has not been beat since 1993. I have seen this stated by Mikeee P in MX America and also in a piece at Motoworld.com. I thought he came in second for the championship to Jeff Emig in 1997? Am I crazy for thinking this or am I correct? I just thought I would check on this so I can confirm my sanity or possible insanity. If I am correct though, this would be nothing new for MC to come in second. And yes, MC is a smart guy, so maybe he will whip himself into shape for next season and come out fighting, like he knows how. I beleive RC kicked his butt. At the same time, I know MC has more fight in him that what he showed this season. Maybe it was due to his new team, new mechanic, new bike, new age, so on and so forth. Knowing MC, he will adjust accordingly as he has shown in the past.

By the way, I am a huge RC fan. I just think that MC deserves recognition for what he has done for the sport and how much he has truly acheived in 10 years of racing.

Andy

------------------

[This message has been edited by MX265 (edited 04-23-2001).]

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
McGrath is no longer the SX champion as of Sat. night, but he is still a champion. His podium speech basically said he's got a lot to work out for next year but that he would be back and expected his title back. (paraphrased, not quotes)

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

BBB

Jul 10, 2000
Jeremys record speaks for itself, and he will always have the facts and stats to back him up so why does eveyone rush to defend him? He doesnt need defending. Geez heaven forbid a person say something negative about McGramps these days. What happened to being able to have an opinion?

The way I see it, McGramps got caught up in his own hype and hubris, with crowns on his head and all the hoopla, and it bit him in the tush as this fiesty lil redhead knuckled down, trained, focused, and gave him an old fashioned whooping. Ill bet Hannah is grinning with deja vu at RCs grit and white knuckle style. Go Flying Freckles!

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by BBB:
why does eveyone rush to defend him? He doesnt need defending . . . Geez heaven forbid a person say something negative about McGramps these days. What happened to being able to have an opinion?"

First, Kawboy, to his credit, has looked at the whole quote and concluded that this was an unwarranted slam, so what's the problem? (besides being a day late to the party). Second, are you saying that only MC bashers should be able to state an opinion -- but not his backers? And third, if somebody rips on RC -- especially if it's erroneous -- I look forward to your silence. ;)

------------------

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
im not an mc fan, the sx only deal and turning down the mxdn when we were getting our butts kicked didnt sit well with me. when i watched the post race i did feel a little sad for mc. he has had a great run and now its over its gotta hurt.in 97 he had some ligit excuses not this year. he is one hell of a nice guy and a great champ, cut him a littel slack.

------------------

KawBoy

Aug 11, 1999
Posting my retraction does not mean I just became a Jeremy McGrath fan. It means I took the quote out of context, before I had an opportunity to view the entire segment of his statement.

I'm fairly neutral on MC. Don't care if he wins or loses. I certainly don't get emotional when I think about his winning days coming to an end. It happens to a lot of racers, not only motocrossers.

If he stands tall and bows out with Grace, I'll like him more than I ever have (see sentence one of paragraph two of this reply).

When Emig screwed up a couple years ago with Kawasaki, I lost a lot of respect for the guy. Seems he's cleaned up his act since the pot days and I'm glad he's getting back into racing again (even if not on a personal level).

The only guy I cut a some slack with is Bailey; sometimes he used to sound sorry for himself from time to time during his voiceovers -- but his circumstance is a rare exception to the rule. The guy can say anything he wants now - he's kicking butt in Iron Man competition and has taken control of his life.

[This message has been edited by KawBoy (edited 04-23-2001).]

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by KawBoy:
Posting my retraction does not mean I just became a Jeremy McGrath fan.

a) I don't think anyone got that mistaken impression; and b) that makes your second post even better on you.

------------------

BBB

Jul 10, 2000
so what's the problem? (besides being a day late to the party).

1. No problem whatsoever, truth is all is great. :cool: Just making an observation. Is that okay? ;)

2. As for being late, I dont live online as lotsa folks do so I havent logged on since last friday - I was out this weekend with my wife, son and friends riding the woods. (Darn that SUnruh is fast on the 250F)

Second, are you saying that only MC bashers should be able to state an opinion -- but not his backers?

Not at all, I welcome all opinions. And for the record I myself respect McGrath bigtime for what he has done, and Im far from a basher. The guys record most likely will never be broken. He is to SX racing what Steve Kinser is to Sprint cars, and Micheal Jordan is to basketball. The King.

And third, if somebody rips on RC -- esecially if it's erroneous -- I look forward to your silence.

Rip on the leprechaun all you want, I dont care. Im an old DeCoster/Hannah/Howerton fan and these kids these days dont do much for me anyway. I just admire RCs grit and tenacity is all.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Leprechaun? Oh Wow! Almost fell out of my chair reading that one :) Maybe I just like the idea that just because RC (and everyone else) is a waaay better rider, I might still beat him at basketball, or reaching the top of cupboards. :)

------------------

Top Bottom