Jeremy/others, recommended oil height 01yz250?

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
Hey guys, I am changing the oil in my forks and am wondering what I should have the oil level at. I am 195 w/o gear and ride western h/s style type riding. The stock springs feel pretty good, but I want to do some fine tuning so I figured I would mess with the oil level. My only complaint with the forks is that they feel harsh on square edge bumps. If I lighten the comp the fork want to wonder a bit. If I increase the oil level can I go a little less on comp dampening? I am going to use Maxima 5wt fork oil (I don't even know where to look for mobil atf out here).

Anyways... what do you think the oil height should be at?

Thanks,
Jon

DesertDog

Jan 14, 2001
I would try .44kg springs, and put kyb 01 oil, at 128mm. Worked real good for me, and seem to make the square edges not so bad. I ride alot of h/s, and national desert races.. I like mine alot..

S

Saratoga

Hey 426: What works for someone else will not work the same for you. You need to tune the suspension for your weight, skill, and terrain.

Did you measure the oil before dumping it out? If you did, you could try lowering or raising the oil.

The stock springs work well for the average 150lb-180lb rider. I am 190 w/o gear and bottom once or twice on a outdoor MX track.
Works great for me bone stock.

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
The stock oil level was at 112mm. I put it to 98mm. I am hoping that I can run a softer comp setting with the additional oil without having the feeling that the front is wandering. We'll see this weekend. I'm going to Hollister for the Weekend.

Jon
d36 #179

DesertDog

Jan 14, 2001
426, You really cant check the oil height, after the bike has been ran on, the oil is pushed from the outer tube, into the inner tube, making the oil height much heigher than it really is, (std is 135, with out spring) always fill the fork full, and suck the oil down to the correct height.

Top Bottom