Jeremy, Showa shock worn out, needs overhaul

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Jeremy, I need a new shock body, and or a new shock. I had my showa unit overhauled by Pro Action in Florida as it was not working well. it worked perfectly for a while and then lost rebound damping. The shock body is worn.

Now, what is the proper way to fix this problem? Should I have the shock bore replated and a steel piston installed? Or replace the body? Possibly a new aftermarket shock, Ohlins or other.

Can you suggest a few options and the approx cost?

TIA Chris

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Cujet,
Typical PA stuff.. A well designed AL piston is good.. I would go with a WP 5018 series shock. It's the badest thing avalable. We've been testing them for about 2 mounths and they are the best. They have a high low adjuster and a 50mm body with a 18mm shock shaft and a low flow piston already installed.

I'd call WER, FC, WB or MXT.. About $950 bills.

Regards,
Jer

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Jeremy That is a lot of money! Is the WP shock really that good?

How about rebuilding? should I have it replated (bore) and install a gold valve. I really need to spend less than that.

Thanks for the reply!

Chris

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Ok, a new body is necessary. Is it better to replate or replace? How about the parts, where do I get them.

Chris

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Check with your dealer on the body. Do you have enough experience to rebuild this shock yourself? If you do you can get the kits from several places or send it there to have it done for you. I'm doing one for a customer now that needs a shaft replacement. Most Showa shock parts you can get from the dealer. KYB is another deal though. If it was a KYB shock you would HAVE to buy a whole new shock and then you might as well spend the bucks and go big.

BTW, I remember your original post on this shock problem awhile back, but I don't remember what year your bike was. I'm thinking 99 CR250.

I don't think plating it will cure your problem. It is unlikely the plating will "fill" the body so it's straight again.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Cujet,
Replating it will not help you out. Go with the new model or a well worn used one. The WP shock is the best option.. There are cheaper options!

Regards,
Jer

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Either way your looking at a minimum of about $600 I would guess. I suppose if it were me I would consider that WP shock for another $350 but then again I do have an addiction to totally trick shocks that most guys would not understand.

So what do you have that will fit my 00YZ 250 Jer? WP have one for that? I would really like to see one sometime. Is there a site where I can see them?

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
My bike is a Husky 360WXE.

Thanks for the replys! I am looking into the idea of a new shock body and installing a steel piston. Ron at Pro Action offered to repair my shock for free a while back. That was very nice of him, however I do not trust his work now and wonder if I will have a recurring problem using PA.

BTW my front forks are now loosing rebound damping too. I have been increasing the clicker from the 15 position, now I am at the 5 position. I think it is happening to my forks too. They are also Showa.

Funny thing is, I really am a recreational rider and tend to take it easy more often than not. Sure I ride the whoops for a minute or two, but that is all.

I am just not that impressed with PA and Showa. It seems they have a short useful life.

Is the Gold Valve a replacement piston? is it any good?

I am looking for long suspension life and reasonable performance.

Chris

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
I've been the whole aftermarket piston route over the years and believe if your looking for long suspension life & reasonable performance the closer you stay to stock the better. The stock components slightly modified by the right tuner seems to last the best. Especially if your as you say a recreational rider. Just my opinion.

doc

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Cujet,
A well designed piston is the right thing to do. A poorly designed piston is bad. Stock is neither good or nesicarly bad, A low flow piston designed prooperly works very well, and won't trash your suspension.

Some aftermarket Pistons are very good, and are not gimmicks but rather the best way to make major improvements. I am very biased however, so the best bet is to look around listen to others opinions, and ask lots of tought questions...

I guess all I'm saying is PA is not the final word in aftermarket suspension, so don't group them with the rest of us... And I'm sure a lot of you can agree with me on that!

Shocknut,
Coming soon to a website you know...

Regards,
Jer

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Jeremy, thank you for the response! I have been looking around on this forum for shock piston ideas. I cannot seem to find the answer I need.

I would hope you could point me in the proper direction. I have no idea which product is good and fits my needs. If you want to E-Mail me, sent it to cujet@aol.com

Chris

Top Bottom