Someone

Mar 12, 2001
My buddies 01 RM 250 has a real jerky clutch. It's very hard to make a smooth start.

He sent me a pic of his basket, and it doesn't look notched at all. He did change his gear oil, but it didn't help.

So I had him order a new clutch kit (plates and springs) and cable. Could it be possible his plates and/or springs are just worn?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You mention the basket, what about the inner hub? We usually had to replace that inner hub before the basket on our zooks over the years.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks for the reply. Is this the inner hub (#4) ?

Attachments

• inner_hub.gif
    inner_hub.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 223

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks again. I guess we'll do the plates and springs first. If there's still an issue, the inner hub isn't very expensive for OEM, so that would be next.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The zook clutches are not the nicest engaging/disengaging clutches out there. We ran ATF type F in all of our zook 2 strokes except one and always found a bit nicer shifting and clutch action.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Ok, I will have him pick up some ATF type F for the tranny when we slap it back together. He's been using what I have in my YZ's, Mobil1 15w50. It can't hurt to try something different.

Thanks again.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Try 85w Belle Ray Gear Saver. Also, maybe if the previous had already filed down the basket in the past there could be too much play where the teeth of the plates contact the basket (where the ridging would occur). Check your manual and it will give you what the gap should be there. Too much will definately cause a jerky, metal on metal feeling clutch especially when startimg out in first. Good luck !!!

doodman

Jun 15, 2009
Howdy! My friend posted this thread on behalf of my clutch problem. I replaced the clutch and springs with Tusk clutch kit. Soaked the friction plates in ATF type F oil per suggestions here and installed the parts yesterday. I also replaced the clutch cable and clutch/brake levers (the tips were broke off). I took it out of a spin today I can't believe the difference!!!! It's like a brand new bike! Before, slowly letting out the clutch to get going was like riding a jackhammer!!!

I inspected the inner hub while I had the clutch out and there were marks where the plates were on the hub and basket, but there were no grooves, it was still very smooth so I think those parts are still in great shape.

Thanks for the replies! Can't wait to hit the trails again, knowing I won't have a hell of a time.. lol.

I looked for bel ray gear saver, but when I was at (autozone) didn't have any that I could see.

Thanks again!!! The clutch works better than it ever has!! :cool:

Last edited:

Top Bottom