380ePete

Dec 27, 2000
I am about to re-jet my '99 380 for the winter and wanted to ask you guys for advice. If I go by the manual, it seems to run too rich. How should I procede? Would be willing to try other needles. I just have what came with bike.

Here is what I currently run:

PWK 38
1/2 and 1/2 VP-C12 w/ 96 oct, 50:1
1200 elevation
60 to 75 degrees f
AS 1 1/2
IJ 48
Needle NOZH , 2nd clip position
MJ 172

BTW - Just got a new Wiesco Pro Lite, has stock pipe with FMF Power Core II

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am far from an expert - so FWIW - and hopefully the real expert Strick will weigh in....

If you are a bit rich running summer temps... you may be just right for winter... ride it and do plug reads to see!

On my 300 I had it absolutely dialed in for summer temps - so really did need to rejet for winter to avoid a trashed top end. Seems I had lost my other jets - so lowerd my clip 2 notches as I had a race and no time to buy new jets -worked fine down into the low 50's. Now that temps are heading lower yet.. I will bump pilot and main 1 size each, and put clip back where it was. Be sure to read plug before you get into an all day ride though just in case you are a bit lean.

Do a search - Strick offered up some good advice when i posted my question on same topic back in October.

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
FWIW also, those specs sound a little rich to begin with. I have been running 42-45 PJ, NOZI 1st, and 172-175 main. Pardon the vagueness, I have to look in my manual to remember what is really in there. CRS disease( can't remember ***t). If it seems lean, go up one on your jets and/or raise your clip.

Desert Guy

Oct 17, 2000
380 Jetting for AZ

I ride a Y2K 380 KTM Exc and have played around with the jetting and have settled upon a 175 main, 40 pilot, CEJ clip position 3 with a #7 slide. For awsome low end and roll on power this setup is increadable. Also the plug runs a tan at all ranges of throttle position. Njoy Az

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Pete I am a single taper needle guy! I ran a 1369NS (~CGK) in my 380, with a shaved slide (close to a #7). 50/50 race/pump gas always, even in my 300!

I just bumped my 300 for winter. I had not ridden the bike for 3 months, but a buddy wanted to so I had to rejet. I went one up on the pilot and main, and the clip one down. I run a 1367N (CGH) in my 300.

The single taper takes away a lot of the down low richness, but also removes the hit. If you like the hit, stay with the stock triple tapers.

Desert guys set up looks pretty good to me. It is real close to my summer settings, but I live at 4500'. Actually my 300 settings that I just bumped were the same as his, except (#2) clip postion CGH needle - my summer settings. Needles and jets are available from Sudco. www.sudco.com

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
If it seems rich then lean it on the bottom some. You aren't likely to burn it up at the lower R's. Just be careful running it lean on the top if you do alot of WFO out there in AZ.

The surging on the bottom and high idle are a good indication that the pilot it is lean on the bottom. Detonation is a good indication of leanness up on top - right before it seizes...

Top Bottom