Woodman

Dec 31, 2000
I have an '01 220 with Boyesen Pro Reeds and the stock carb. The bike runs the best with the following jetting: Main is a 145, Pilot is a 40, the clip is second position from top on the stock needle. The bike still runs a bit rich off the bottom.
Hopefully tomorrow, I will be getting a KG30 REV pipe. Do you think I will be safe with this jetting, or should I richen it for the new pipe? I will still be using the stock silencer, or at least for now!
Any replies eagerly anticipated!

------------------
2001 KDX 220

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
on the 200 you have to richen up for the
rev pipe but id say putter on runner and
do a plug reading

------------------
2000 kdx200 2000ktm 50sxpro jr
1983it250
alexis il

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I'd start with a 148 main to be safe , do a plug reading at WOT and take it from there. You'll likely have to go up a size or two on the pilot jet as well. I'd start with a 42 and expect to use a fairly small air screw setting, something around 1 turn out for now. Keep your 45 pilot on hand as well.

Is the air box lid modified?

Let us know how it turned out.

David

------------------
Let's bust big . . . I don't think so. Let's bust bark! Now you're talking!

www.justkdx.dirtrider.net

Last edited:

Woodman

Dec 31, 2000
Got the Rev pipe installed and 4 or 5 rides in. The pipe fit was perfect. I have played with jetting a lot and have settled on a 150 main, 40 pilot, the stock needle with the clip 2nd position from the top, and the air screw is 1 turn out. I have tried 145, 148, and 150 main jets. The 145 really made the bike rip, but a plug check was grey. I tried the 150 and it ran really well. I had to wait for the shop to get me a 148, and when it did arrive, I took half a day off work and went for a ride :p . It ran very rich and would not rev out. I believe the problem with this jet is that it is some kind of aftermarket piece, and the size indexing must be way different than Keihin's. Stick with the Keihin stuff. Anyhow, here is how it runs. Right off idle, it's a tad burbly, then revs out cleanly. I can get rid of this off idle richness by turning the air screw out, but it bogs when the throttle is snapped. It also did this in stock form. That's not my favourite technique for crossing logs. With this pipe, it revs quicker and farther than stock, yet still tractors way down low. It seems to like to be ridden more aggressively than with the stock pipe. Oh yeah, the air box lid is modified and I used the stock silencer. Elevation is about 1200 feet.

Thanks for the jetting suggestions Canadian Dave, I'll try a "real" 148 as soon as I locate one.

Any suggestions for getting rid of the off idle richness without inducing that bog?

------------------
2001 KDX 220

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Keep working with the air screw and you should be able to sort it out. Small adjustments, as little as an 1/8 of a turn, make a difference. If you don't find a combination that works well try the 42 pilot jet and see if you can't find an airscrew/pilot jet combinations that works better.

David

POSyz

Apr 3, 2001
Woodman,
Hey, my combo is extremely close to yours! Right now I am running the stock silencer and carb, on a 97' 220, with the rev pipe, and boyesn power reeds (and of course air box mods). I am at about 600' above sea level, and am running a 42 pilot, .8 turns out on the air screw, and a 148 main. Needle on the middle clip. I haven't played with it too much, mainly just the main jet. I have found that the 148 was practically perfect. So perfect, I am considering going one size bigger just for peice of mind. So the 148 you have isn't a Keihn part? Keep us informed when you try the right 148 main. Thanks.

Troy

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
When I was running that combo I found the 148 main, 45 pilot and clip in the second position from the top worked good. Under high load conditions the bike would over heat. Under very cold like 15F i would run the 150 main. I found the pro reeds liked a little richer pilot setting than the power reeds.

Top Bottom