ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i have been reading a lot of technical articles on fuels , fuel additives , octane , combustion charts, flame fronts etc. etc.
needless to say this new found info has my head hurting like im cramming for finals .
basically i am a B+ woods and B- mx rider. ride an '03 cr250 with vforce3, fmf fatty. the bike runs awesome now with a little drool. i have a consistent premix for a couple years golden spectro 40:1 i need a cosistent gas and i am looking for the best pump gas with which i can fine tune my jetting hopefully it will be as consistent as pump can get and widely available. as i cant figure out this ethanol methanol :blah: :blah: octane deal. i would appreciate it

thanks L+O

APBT

Mar 13, 2005
Try VP C12. You will have much more consistancy with this fuel than you will with pump gas. If you absolutely have to run pump gas I would suggest using Amoco.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
closest place i can get race fuel is an hour and it is not on the way to the track or trail :bang:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ellandoh said:
i need a cosistent gas and i am looking for the best pump gas with which i can fine tune my jetting hopefully it will be as consistent as pump can get and widely available.

No such animal. If you want to buy pump fuel you'll have to contend with the variances that come with it, and it's effect on jetting.

Here's an interesting paper that can shed some light on the subject :
SAE paper # 1999-01-3584 - An Analysis of 1996-98 Gasoline Quality in the United States

The Cliff Notes version -

- The quality of pump gasoline varies so much from location to location across the country (regardless of fuel volume pumped) that it is impossible to make blanket statements about which brand of pump is better or worse. Quality was more varied than anticipated by members of the American Automobile Manufacturers Association (AAMA) who routinely sponsor these studies.

Most people who track these things carefully tend to agree with the findings of the sited study. End result, trying to tune sharp with pump fuel will prove tricky or impossible depending on the bike.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
thanks fellas, i imagine i will just jet a little finer to get rid of the drool , however i will leave it a slight bit rich to keep myself safe for the variances in the fuel . unless any of you feel this is a bad idea

APBT

Mar 13, 2005
"closest place I can get race fuel is an hour and its not on the way to the track or trail"

Get a 55 gallon drum and you will not have to do any driving for a while.

Top Bottom