loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
:whoa:
Im really confused

Problems:

- My bike is a pain to start if it sits for a couple days (7ish kicks when cold)
- The bike tends the ping and spit and carry on when cold with choke
- When warm and up to operating temp (with choke now off) it smokes like a toker in a VW van.

Good things:

-The bike is making good power past 1/2 throttle

- The bike will get warm and then i turn off the choke once warm and it runs great. Throttle response isnt perfect but it is good enough for a poker like me. And it idles great.

What i though i would do...

- My friend told me to lean the bottom end of the motor (0-1/3) throttle by turning out the airscrew (currently at 1 and 1/3 turns out). When it do this it doesnt like to idle smooth (it bounces rpm, and revs up and bogs and crap) and it will "Ping" (dont know how to explain) but you can feel it.

The bike has never run like it did before ever since i rebuilt the top end and put in a Wiseco piston over the OEM one that was in. The topend is in right and every thing is good but now i dont know what is happening :ahhh:

So, my DRN fellow comrades...

Help a brother out.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Are your reeds in good shape? There shouldn't be any gap where they seal against the reed cage. Poor you jetting may be off too but bad reeds are the most common cause for poor starting.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Check your pilot jet, that handles up to 1/4 throttle. If that is way off then no matter how much you tweak your mixture screw it won't compensate for the pilot jet. Look in your manual and see what is stock and go from there.

Good luck, Mark

Top Bottom