LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
hey there, i have a 2007 ktm 200 xcw and i have oil coming out of my tail pipe. i am guessing that this is my jetting and it is a bit on the rich side. i was just wondering how i should be jetting it? move the needle position, change jets? any help would be greatly appreciated

Jan 3, 2007
LBRaptor, it all depends on how it feels. Dose the power seem crisp on the bottom, mid, and top or dose it feel like its bogging in spots. and if so, where dose it feel boggy.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
it bogs down on the bottom a little bit but the top end is suffering the most it just isnt as crisp as it should be all around. it is almost there just feels rich and it pufs blue all the time never seems to unload like it should as well.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
has it always done this or did it just start out of the blue? What jetting are you running now and what elevation? How many hours on engine...is the air filter cleaned regularly?

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
I'm running the DDK needle, position #3 and a 170 main below 60 degrees and a 168 above. It works quite well.

Please note the new carb requires considerably leaner jetting than the old carb.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
How could providing us with your jetting specs have anything to do with this issue at all, Ud Luz?
Useless information -albeit quite typical.

LBRaptor, Like Wade has eluded...you have not given enough information for anyone to assess your carburetor's issues.
I sense you are seeking basic jetting information, which is to be found here in abundance. The very best advice I can give you, is to do a proper search of this forum to find the information you need concerning basic jetting and combustion.

Your questions are asked multiple times, on a daily basis, in many different moto forums. Many of these forums find the need to have a "jetting spec" section...which may be helpful in obtaining the information from folks with like bikes, riding in like areas, under like conditions. But that is only a baseline at best.

If you do find good information about jetting issues, and decide that you want to actually do what is required to jet the bike properly for your purposes, then you will eventually realize that everything I'm telling you is spot-on.
You will also, assuming you study up and absorb the info., be able to understand why folks spouting off their jetting numbers is an exercise in useless futility.
Especially those who give these numbers with absolutely no idea of your riding style, or elevation...which are but only two of the needed bits of information to get your bike running at optimum.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
hmm well. i have owned the bike and ridden less than ten hours and the jetting is stock. i run at about 500 feet elevation up to 4000. the filter is clean and i just bought it and it needs to be rejet anyway, i just want it to be more crisp and not bog so much as well as get rid of it puffing blue 24/7

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Many times a "bog" right off idle is actually a lean pilot, but again I don't know where the bog is occurring. Does running the bike w/ the choke eliminate the boggy feel when blipping the throttle? If so, you have an overly lean condition. Make sure to start w/ a properly adjusted air screw (3/4 to 1 1/2 turns out) and then make your determination whether you need to go richer or leaner. The fact that you aren't fouling plugs like crazy after warm up leads me to believe you may be lean on pilot...most KTM 2strokes are nowdays

An overly rich main and or needle/clip setting can cause the spooging and smoke after that. Does it seem to bog and then take off in a smoky mess? I've always had good luck w/ JD needles and his recommendations for main jets. But you may be able to cure your spooge and smoke by going w/ a leaner clip position at a time. If that helps but doesn't cure completely, try one step at a time smaller on the main. I don't know what part of the rpm range you are getting what symptoms, but pilot and air screw affects idle up to roughly 1/8-1/4 throttle, needle and clip overlap at 1/4 throttle and up to about 3/4 throttle, and main affects your 1/2 to WOT.

Basically, address one problem at a time and adjust accordingly before moving on to another, otherwise you will end up with a mess.

FWIW, I have always spent the initial first few hours learning my machine and jetting accordingly and I have always had clean running, non-spooging two-strokes. Just make sure not to go overly lean in trying to clean everything up. Once you get the bike in its happy spot, they are real easy to live with

Top Bottom