Jetting Nightmare

Green Rider

May 29, 2002
Since installing an FMF Gnarly, TC II silencer, and Boyesen Power Reeds, my bike runs as rich as German chocolate cake! I have dropped my main jet to a 140, changed to a 40:1 ratio (Yamalube), and moved the needle clip to the #1 position. Still blows black spooge on my rear fender and struggles from mid to top end. How low has anyone gone on the main jet? I feel that a 140 is already low. Riding in Nashville, not sure on the base elevation. 02 KDX 220 stock engine except for the items listed above.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Changed to 40:1 from what? What type of oil do you use?

I suspect your problem may be that you didn't mod the air box, at least you didn't mention it. A 140 is mighty lean-be careful. Call Sudco and get a CEL needle -try #3 -you'll want to hug me later. If that is too much hit for you get a BEL instead. You may have inadvertently flipped your reed box upside down restricting airflow when installing the reeds. Check that. DO A wfo PLUG CHOP to make sure the main jet is right. Good Luck.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
what pilot jet you running? I run pretty slow in the woods. my set up is 38/150 CEL 2 from top. a/s @ 2.0 turns out, no ab lid, 36mm carb, fredette ported stock reeds. yamma lube will burn kinda smokey and will spooge a lot even if jetted correctly.

Green Rider

May 29, 2002
Ooops. Forgot to mention that I removed the air box. I checked the reed box and it is in the correct position. Not sure on the pilot but it is stock. Where can I get a CEL needle? I am going to switch to Maxim Super M based on a fellow KDX rider here in town and would like to try the new needle.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Green Rider
Where can I get a CEL needle? I am going to switch to Maxim Super M based on a fellow KDX rider here in town and would like to try the new needle.

Sudco 1-800-998-3529

Also consider Mobil 1 MX2T

Green Rider

May 29, 2002
Thanks for the help! Going to try both....if this doesn’t work I know where you can get a bike REAL cheap!

KDX-Jack

Oct 21, 2001
"You may have inadvertently flipped your reed box upside down restricting airflow when installing the reeds. "

Ready for a dumb question, How can I tell which way is correct.....

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by KDX-Jack
"You may have inadvertently flipped your reed box upside down restricting airflow when installing the reeds. "

Ready for a dumb question, How can I tell which way is correct.....

Look at it as you put it in and make sure the ovals match up perfectly. It's easy to screw up. There is a tab on one side of the reed cage/reed block check that and make a note to self where it go's so you know how it should be each time you do reed checks/changes.

Green Rider

May 29, 2002
I believe that you place the "oval" or opening of the reed cage toward the left side of your bike (kickstand side).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
GR
That seems backwards. It's been awhile since I looked at an oem cage.

But........

In any case, as fred said, when you put the carb boot on the reed flange...and the boot is pointing the right direction you can EASILY see which way it's supposed to go. Try turning the cage around 180º to see what the 'other way' looks like when viewed THRU the carb boot.

'Ya can't miss it!

re: struggles from mid to top.

With a 140, I wouldn't be surprised at all that you're sensing a too-lean situation.

Also...don't know what you're comparing it to...but a 220 doesn't have much of a topend anyway.

While noone can tell anyone how to jet exactly for a particular bike..my money is on 'too lean' (the bike being basically mechanically sound..has decent combustion pressure, KIPS works and such).

Does anyone but me wonder why fred is angling for a 'big hug'???

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by canyncarvr
... Does anyone but me wonder why fred is angling for a 'big hug'???
Early winter Katoom withdrawals?

:ugg:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The damn deer hunters got us kicked otta da woods for a few weeks, so I go into withdrawl and start hanging out with the greenies a little bit. Heck where else can you answer the same question 3 times in one week? I think a how to use the search thread would help a lot of these guys out. I think EVERYTHING on a KDX has been covered in here at one time or another. Oops, sorry, I must be cranky from not riding. CYA.

Anyway, good luck with the jetting - my bets also on a 140 being too lean. But Eric Gorr has to keep his family fed ya know.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah...I hear them 'damn deer hunters' been shootin' lil' kids' horses.

Search? Same questions? Hey, fred....are pumpkin riders differnt?

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Over on this side of the lake those damn deer hunters have wounded (not killed) four pet deer on one 80 acre property that was closed to hunting.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…