billisblap

Feb 20, 2002
I recently purchased a 2002 klx 300. I removed an exhaust baffle and a L shaped snorkel thingy from the air box. When I removed the "snorkel" from the airbox I had to adjust the idle signifigantly higher, but now the bike is running MUCH better. However, after the bike is fully warm, after a good bit of riding, it will occasionally emit a very brief hissing sound that resembles a sneeze. This ocuurs when riding at about half throttle and then hitting the throttle hard.

I suspect that since it is a new four stroke the jetting is a little lean. Unfortunatley I don't know what to adjust. I would like information about how changing the main jet, pilot jet, and needle settings will affect performance at various RPMs. Specifically how can I make the bike run a little richer at mid range RPMs.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hi dude did u chk out www.planetklx.com ? after i did my mods i found the jetting ok they come fat stock anyhow(doesn't mean u shouldn't chk urself) but i lowered the clip on the needle one spot . u can do that with the carb in place through the top i also cut the spring 3 or 4 coils.u get at the jets through the bottom, look at a diagram to see an exploded view of the carb at kawi on line it helps .

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Check out the diagram on www.buykawasaki.com for the carb on your particular bike. I have a 97 KLX and just bought & received the needle that Stroker recommends for the stock CV carb (N1TC, 3rd position from the top). I was told to leave the main alone, it's 128 stock. I know nothing about cutting a spring though, I'd be careful hacking up your OEM parts like that.

I've ran my bike stock for years without ever touching the carb, and I've been from sea level to 9k'...spark plug is a nice shade of light brown everytime I pull it to check. The stock carb is garbage compared to a pumper though, so that's why I'm trying this new needle out, to see if it gives the bike any boost.

Matt

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
mc all i did was cut a few coils off the vacuum valve spring it is supposed to put less tention on the valve to let it open quicker to get better throttle response.i try not to hack :) .

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
I have a '97 and '99 and have done the following to the carb: Increase the main jet from 128 (stock) to a 132. Move the needle clip down one notch (which raises the needle). Cut 3 coils off the diaphragm spring to get faster throtle response. I would take the whole airbox lid off, not just the snorkle. You might try adjusting the mixture screw to about 1.5 turns out instead of the 2 1/4 that tha manual says. Both of mine run too rich at the 2 1/4 setting (black plug after idling for just a minute). Good luck, the bikes are great!!!! If you want to know how to make a tool for a 30 second plug change let me know and I will e-mail you the info.

Top Bottom