jetting...water into block...kx60

199kx60

Sep 24, 2007
ok well i'm new here so if this isnt in the right spot feel free to move it.

ok well i have a 1999 kx 60 and have never had a 2 stroke be for and have only had this one a month. i

1.) im havin some problem with it like it leaking water into the block i bought a set of gaskets on saturday and they will be in thursday. what do you guys think the problem could not find any visible cracks anywhere? hopefully the gaskets

2.) second is that i have been reading on here and have heard quite a bit about proper jetting. how do i know if my bike is jetted properly jetted and if i need to how do i re jet it?

thanks any help is appreciated

tom

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
I had a KDX220 that was getting water in the block. The first thing I would do it put a water pump kit in it. The impellar (at least on the KDX) runs on a ceramic "seal". There should also be your typical type seal you are use to seeing in there too. With a bike that old, there is no way to tell when it had it's last water pump. Hopefully, that should cure your water in the motor issue.

Jetting is important, especially if you want the bike to run well. However, jetting is dependant on the healthiness of the motor. Does the motor have good compression? There is really no reason to jet a motor that is worn out. It will never run the way it was supposed to. However, if it does have good compression, the first thing you need to do is decide on a mix and oil and go from there. Most folks who run synthetic mix it at less than 32:1. I've seen everything from 50:1 to 100:1. I am afraid of 100:1 and also 50:1 in my 65. On our 250's, 50:1 was great, however, since I only want one mix of fuel to worry about, I run all bikes at 40:1. I personally think the 40:1 is borderline on the 65 because it revs so high and works so hard. Why am I making such a big deal about mix? Because the less oil you put in the fuel, the richer the mixture becomes! :yikes: Finally, we are ready to jet. Oh, I almost forgot. Re-pack that silencer! Chances are it is oil clogged and needs to be taken care of. :ohmy: Wow, lots of work huh? Okay, pull the plug, is it black? If so, its rich. Is it red? Red is good. Is it tan? That means its running lean. While plug readings should really be done new plugs, and the oil can cloud "judgement", pulling the original will give you a good idea if you are already in trouble (lean) or not. Oh boy, I didn't realize how deep this jetting is. The bottom line is that jetting will make or break the ridability of a bike and it changes with weather and elevation. I can go on and on, however, I think maybe doing a search will yield better info (and has already been written) on the subject. Hopefully, you will see that "jetting" is effected by so many different variables on the bike and a poorly running bike is sometimes blamed on jetting when that is not the problem. It could be a clogged or over oiled air filter or oil soaked silencer packing. It could also be caused by worn out reeds. Whew. The factory took a lot of time jetting the bike correctly, you should not have to venture far from it to make the bike run better..... if all the other things I've indicated are in good working order. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some pointers. Jetting it almost a science if your really want the most from the bike. Good Luck!

199kx60

Sep 24, 2007
thanks for your comment

i will try the water pump if the gaskets is not the problem

as for the jetting i recently repacked my scilencer packing and run 32:1 for gas. i will decide to re jet or not once i get it back up and running. also for the plug i cant remember last time i when i changed it because last time a pulled it i had a pretty suprise of water on it. this was 3 weeks ago when i found that out so i cant remember

thanks for your help anyhow

Last edited:

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
199kx60 said:
.... last time i when i changed it because last time a pulled it i had a pretty suprise of water on it......

I didn't remember you saying you had water in your cylinder. I guess that's what your gaskets are for?? :coocoo: Duh. Be sure to check the cylinder and head mating surfaced for straightness. The KDX was bad enough that it would not idle well when it was warmed up thoroughly. Having water in the gearbox indicates a water pump, water in the cylinder indicates head gasket, head and cylinder problems.

199kx60

Sep 24, 2007
ok well got it runin. runs great if this didnt work the water pump probably would have been my next guess. also cleaned out the carb and i knew it would help and it did. i could not get it started by kicking it but i had my uncle push me while i popped it in gear. i helped push his car out of the driveway and he pushed me to help geet my bike started so we are even now.

thanks for your help

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom