jetting

f7

Apr 23, 2004
I am new to this site just wanted to say hello.Also I have a question,I just bought a 1991 kx250 it's in great condition never raced and runs great.Only problem is that it is a hard starter,takes about 10 kicks to get it going from a cold engine.Once it is running it is fine,it has a 158 main jet in it and the air fuel screw is out 3 turns.Any advice would be great thanks.

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
What's up! This is my 1st post here as well.

To answer your question; check your compression. I bet your top end is worn.

B

biglou

What is your pilot jet size? Also, I'd go to 1-1/2 turns out on your airscrew. Turn the fuel on, choke on, kick it through slowly a couple times to prime the cylinder, then kick her like you mean it. See if that helps. BTW-I'm guessing you'll want about a 42 for pilot jet size. Good luck, tell us how it goes.

f7

Apr 23, 2004
Bullwinkle58 said:
What's up! This is my 1st post here as well.

To answer your question; check your compression. I bet your top end is worn.
Motor was just rebuilt before I bought it compression was checked and it was at 130 pounds.

f7

Apr 23, 2004
thanks biglou yes I do have a 42 for a pilot jet.I am replacing the carb intake boot as it was pretty dry rotted have to wait a few days for it to come in ,but I will try starting it like you said and see if it helps.Thanks again

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…