Joint pain in throttle hand / fingers

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
I've had some joint pain develop in my right hand over the past month or so. When loose, there is no pain or discomfort in my hand / fingers. However, whenever I try to grip something with even moderate strength, there is a significant amount of pain in what seems to be all of my hand & finger joints. I can no longer make a tight fist and can grab with only 70% - 80% of my strength.

There does not seem to be any swelling. I ride 2 - 6 hours (real seat time) per week - very bouncy, rocky, fairly technical stuff. I'm 23 years old, so I don't think it's arthritus.

What is this and how can I stop it?! Is excercise, such as with a guitar-players gripper thingy a good idea?

Thanks!

RATM

Aug 11, 2004
I use to get that, I think it was from driving for 4-5 hours a day for about a week and a half strate (that's when I got my first dirt bike) and it would hurt when ever I grabed or went to hold somthing. I just didn't do any heavy grabing or holding or twisting of the wrists for about 2 weeks and then my hands felt good as new, but now I don't ride that long any more, so I don't have to deal with that any more. Well hope your hands start feeling better :D

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
You don't have any numbness in your hands and fingers do you? If so, definitely go see a doctor. A friend of mine started feeling numbness and it turned out he has MS. I certainly hope this isn't your problem though. Good luck!

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Lots of Stretching and exercise, Like with one of those grippers... is what I do.. I take 800mg Ibuprofin before riding usually, if sore beforehand and I also take a supplement called MSM methyl sulphonyl methane (sp?).. it helps draw sulpher into your joints...

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
Okay thanks for the tips everyone.

va_yzrider - No numbness, so I'm okay there. Numbness in the extremities can be any number of serious medical problems.

GREENBEAN - So an hour in front of the TV every day can be put to a constructive purpose?

kais

Oct 26, 2002
Sounds like carpal tunnel; see a doctor first. Anti-inflammation drugs (aspirin,advil,aleve) a night splint and exercises can minimize discomfort in my case.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Not sure if this is the same as what u get but my fingers cramp up real bad when riding for long periods of time. Its not armpump exactly because it can take up to 2 weeks for it to go away. For me armpump and fingers camping are caused by the same thing to an extent. Armpump usually occurs when I'm tense and going hard. The finger cramping happens when the track is ruff so I have to hold on tight for 20 mins or more continuously. I have not been able to stop that but focusing on what stops arm pump minimizes the length of recovery. Only thing I can guess is holding on too tight and the vibration of the bike causes joint irritation. I have tried almost every grip out there and seem to be stuck as well. I am using a super soft superbike grip from Pro Grip that helps with vibration . Ony problem is that it increases armpump cause you don't realize your squeezing tight on the soft grip. I would rather deal with armpump than joint pain.

ReDLiNeSHiFT4

Jun 11, 2004
xTYBALTx said:
I've had some joint pain develop in my right hand over the past month or so. When loose, there is no pain or discomfort in my hand / fingers. However, whenever I try to grip something with even moderate strength, there is a significant amount of pain in what seems to be all of my hand & finger joints. I can no longer make a tight fist and can grab with only 70% - 80% of my strength.

There does not seem to be any swelling. I ride 2 - 6 hours (real seat time) per week - very bouncy, rocky, fairly technical stuff. I'm 23 years old, so I don't think it's arthritus.

What is this and how can I stop it?! Is excercise, such as with a guitar-players gripper thingy a good idea?

Thanks!

have you tried softer or thicker grips? i heard that helps sometimes...i just got the same thing u got, only not as bad the other day. im trying the grip hypothesis first cuz thats the cheapest. haha. good luck!

Top Bottom