joint pain

all u guys that suffer from joint pain after a days ride is there anything better for it than beer?

glucosamine with condroitine. Think I'm spelling it right. has helped me with joint pain but it's something that you have to take daily. The first month you have to take 1500mg(glucosamine) to load then 500mg(glucosamine) daily maintanance dose. (forgot the dose on the condroitine it's all in one pill.)
It's no cure-all but it is supposed to help rebuild the joints they use it to treat arthritis patients but they have to take very large doses. It's sold in health food stores or in vitamin sections at the supermarket. There are a lot of different co's which sell it, I use GNC. They also have info on their web site to read more about it.

Erick82

Subscriber
1000mg of ibprofin(sp) every day for acouple of weeks always helps me, glucosamine is also good, but I lioke instant relief. Also beer and vicandin works real good to releive pain after a long day of riding.

speedyts49

Subscriber
I always am in pain. Maybe being 51 has something to do with that. I lift weights 2 or 3 times a week just to keep from losing any more age related muscle. Those joints hurt some but its negligible. After riding a beer or two sure tastes good but for the inflamation the Doc says Advil. Usually higher doses than the bottle says.
In my case I take a 81mc asprin a day to thin the blood. The reason I mention this is I have read on the joint therepy suplements not to mix the two.
So with that said, staying in shape and a couple of Advil after you ride should limit the pain.
Oh yeah,mixing alcohol and asprin/advil/tylenol cause liver damage or so it says on the otc bottle.
tom
Do I sound like a old guy or what!
ps; where can I get the vicandin?

shnalln

Subscriber
Ok, here it is...some 'ol timer said he drinks 100% pure cherry juice. Supposedly the cherry juice has something in it that your joints use for a lubricant...
I personally do not have these problems, so I can't say for myself, but the 'ol guy swears by it...I know it's nasty tastin' though!

speedyts49

Subscriber
The cherry juice isn't some Fruedian thing is it? I will check out the net for more info on this subject and thanks for the reply.
Coronas seem to be working for now though.
thanks again,
tom

speedyts49

Subscriber
I see that cherry juice is used for arthritisis and some forms of cancer. sounds like its worth a try for an old guy. thanks.

speedyts49

Subscriber
Stretching is really a good way to prevent injury too. I don't know what the moto pro guys do but I never see anybody stretching where I ride. I don't stretch either but I may start having read the posts in this forum. I ALWAYS do before lifting.
later,
tom

shnalln

Subscriber
Well, I didn't want to say for a fact because I can't remember for sure, but it seems like my step dad (who lays carpet for a living) asked a doc. about it because of tennis elbow, and the doc. confirmed. He tried it for a couple of weeks and it seemed to help. He stopped because he couldn't stand the taste...

I hate to say, because I personally cannot say for sure, that's why I try to stress the point. But I think it's worth looking into, if I had the problems (give me a couple more years) I'd look into it more.

If you decide to try it, and I hope it works for you, let us know and good luck!

Just remember, it has to be 100% pure cherry juice...diluted cherry juice will not work...

Last edited:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
I try to remember to take a couple Advil before a race. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to work better than taking them afterwards. Plus I can have a cold beer when I'm done, since it's been 3+ hours since taking the drugs. :)

Also, I'm convinced that regular lifting is good for the joints & the soft tissue around them.

speedyts49

Subscriber
23JH has good advice. I have been told by my doctor to take the advil before working out and you can actually do more thus getting a better workout. It dulls the pain during. Racing is a workout in its self, right?
tom

I ordered some of that tart cherry juice concentrate and should have it this week or next. I will keep you posted on my opinion of it after giving it some time to do its magic. Maybe a new post if it does the trick.
Could not find it locally but the internet is vast and i had no problem mail ordering it.
thanks,
tom

altagirl

Subscriber
I use SAM-e in addition to glucosamine and chondroitin. The SAM-e seems to make the biggest difference in pain relief in my joints (bad knees).