gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
glucosamine with condroitine. Think I'm spelling it right. has helped me with joint pain but it's something that you have to take daily. The first month you have to take 1500mg(glucosamine) to load then 500mg(glucosamine) daily maintanance dose. (forgot the dose on the condroitine it's all in one pill.)
It's no cure-all but it is supposed to help rebuild the joints they use it to treat arthritis patients but they have to take very large doses. It's sold in health food stores or in vitamin sections at the supermarket. There are a lot of different co's which sell it, I use GNC. They also have info on their web site to read more about it.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
1000mg of ibprofin(sp) every day for acouple of weeks always helps me, glucosamine is also good, but I lioke instant relief. Also beer and vicandin works real good to releive pain after a long day of riding.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I always am in pain. Maybe being 51 has something to do with that. I lift weights 2 or 3 times a week just to keep from losing any more age related muscle. Those joints hurt some but its negligible. After riding a beer or two sure tastes good but for the inflamation the Doc says Advil. Usually higher doses than the bottle says.
In my case I take a 81mc asprin a day to thin the blood. The reason I mention this is I have read on the joint therepy suplements not to mix the two.
So with that said, staying in shape and a couple of Advil after you ride should limit the pain.
Oh yeah,mixing alcohol and asprin/advil/tylenol cause liver damage or so it says on the otc bottle.
tom
Do I sound like a old guy or what!
ps; where can I get the vicandin?

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Ok, here it is...some 'ol timer said he drinks 100% pure cherry juice. Supposedly the cherry juice has something in it that your joints use for a lubricant...
I personally do not have these problems, so I can't say for myself, but the 'ol guy swears by it...I know it's nasty tastin' though!

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
The cherry juice isn't some Fruedian thing is it? I will check out the net for more info on this subject and thanks for the reply.
Coronas seem to be working for now though.
thanks again,
tom

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Stretching is really a good way to prevent injury too. I don't know what the moto pro guys do but I never see anybody stretching where I ride. I don't stretch either but I may start having read the posts in this forum. I ALWAYS do before lifting.
later,
tom

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Well, I didn't want to say for a fact because I can't remember for sure, but it seems like my step dad (who lays carpet for a living) asked a doc. about it because of tennis elbow, and the doc. confirmed. He tried it for a couple of weeks and it seemed to help. He stopped because he couldn't stand the taste...

I hate to say, because I personally cannot say for sure, that's why I try to stress the point. But I think it's worth looking into, if I had the problems (give me a couple more years) I'd look into it more.

If you decide to try it, and I hope it works for you, let us know and good luck!

Just remember, it has to be 100% pure cherry juice...diluted cherry juice will not work...

Last edited:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I try to remember to take a couple Advil before a race. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to work better than taking them afterwards. Plus I can have a cold beer when I'm done, since it's been 3+ hours since taking the drugs. :)

Also, I'm convinced that regular lifting is good for the joints & the soft tissue around them.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
23JH has good advice. I have been told by my doctor to take the advil before working out and you can actually do more thus getting a better workout. It dulls the pain during. Racing is a workout in its self, right?
tom

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I ordered some of that tart cherry juice concentrate and should have it this week or next. I will keep you posted on my opinion of it after giving it some time to do its magic. Maybe a new post if it does the trick.
Could not find it locally but the internet is vast and i had no problem mail ordering it.
thanks,
tom

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I use SAM-e in addition to glucosamine and chondroitin. The SAM-e seems to make the biggest difference in pain relief in my joints (bad knees).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Advil (Ibuprofen) or even better, Aleve (naprosen) will help the best with pain and swelling. Vioxx is prescription only isn't it? If you can get a scrip for it, do--I hear it's really good. As for Vicodin (hydrocodone) that is a prescription only high dosage painkiller that is really addictive AND it pickles your liver. Taking it with beer habitually is a bad idea. I have had it twice, as well as oxycontin and percoset, for post-surgery pain and it is some strong stuff. Even if you develop a resistance to it, it's still a high-end drug and I wouldn't recommend taking it for everyday pain.

Glucosamine is a great way to keep your joints in better condition. It comes in a variety of combinations including with MSM, Chondritin and Sulfate. Have not heard which is the best but I'm currently taking it with MSM and don't have any complaints. It will help rebuild your joint tissues. I have also heard rumors that alfalfa will also, not sure on that one.

A lot of joint pain is mild or early onset arthritis or crepitis, often caused by injuries to the cartilage. There isn't much you can do except protect your knee as much as possible. Cartilage doesn't grow back much. Strengthening the quads and hamstring will help cushion the joint.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I take 3000 mg of MSM (MethylSulfonylMethane?). I heard about this from my vet actually at least three or four years ago. I have been taking it every day since. I see it in every RX now too. My Three legged Dog does a lot better with it she can go for a lot more walks than before. IF I skip a few days I can feel the difference myself and I notice the difference with my dog too. I am not big on the glucosamine but everyone I told to try the MSM swears by it now for everything from back to finger pain. It is the active ingredient in DMSO if anyone remembers that stuff mostly used for horses.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
I like the Now Liquid Glucosamine, chondroitin and msm blend. Here is some general info I found on the net that was helpful.

<http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/nut/nut02.html>
<http://arthritis.about.com/cs/glucosamine/a/trials.htm>
<http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/supplements/a/glucosamine_2.htm>
<http://seniorhealth.about.com/library/conditions/blprarthritistrial.htm>
<http://arthritis.about.com/cs/glucosamine/a/glucosamine.htm>
<http://www.flexicose.com/flexicose/faq.html>

PowerStroke

Dec 3, 1999
FYI Actually the beer is bad for the joints. I know they are good and we all love beer. I got Gout this year from eating dam good food on my expense account. I mean I eat some damn good food and lots of it. Philadelphia italian and chinese and NJ Italian an Mexican..MMMMMMMMMMMMM.

The secret lately has been lots of water. I go to wawa and get the largest ice water every morning with my coffee(which is bad also). It is free and really makes me feel better in the winter when I am not riding and hyrdrating for a HS.

I took this ugly green pill for gout that made all my joints feel great. It bled my system of uric acid. Some nurse across the street gave me the low down on how to get around it. She says if you piss anything but clear you gotta drink more water. Drink coffee and you gotta drink more water because it is a diuretic.

anyway I have been taking the glucosamine and may try to see my vet for the other stuff. So far the water does the trick.

Anyway thanks for all the info.. I need it.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I have been using Fluid Joint for about two weeks now, and do feel a difference in my joints. Its rather expensive, ($29.95) for a 2 week supply, but works much faster than Gluco/Chon. I took GC for a month, and really didnt feel much different. The problem is, I cant afford to take this stuff for more than a month at a time!

FluidJoint

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
im in the take the pain reliever before the riding/event camp. i usually just take minimum doses on the day of the ride and on the following day ill switch from ibuprofin to asprin.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I have heard that the effects of ibuprofen negate the good effects of aspirin. Maybe the good doc Nephron will weigh in on this? ;)

Top Bottom