JR or PW better for 4 year old ??

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
Im Buying my little girl a bike for Xmass and I found a new 03 JR for $300 less than a 04 PW 50 which would you buy ??????

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I would go with the cheaper bike. A mini bike like that is not something that you are looking for performance on. Buy the JR, she probably won't know the difference.

01RM125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2002
We’ve had both, so I have a few comments. I think in general, both are great low tech. Little bikes.

JR50 – Nic’s bike from 4 to 6 ½. Then Cam’s from 4-5. = 3 ½ year hard riding. Still owned by a neighbor of ours for 2 months now.
Plus
- Two heights. Can simply be adjusted to be one+ inch higher when ready.
-“Real” rear suspension. Has two cheap (non-rebuildable) rear shocks that DO suspend the rear in the normal fashion.
-Can modify for 2nd gear (very low).
-2001 and later look “more like a real MX bike” than earlier JRs and current PWs.
Minus
-Slightly higher gearing than PW50, makes the JR50 less able to climb steep hills (at least at slow speeds).

PW50 – Cam’s bike from 2 ½ to 5. = 2 1/2 year hard riding. Owned by a neighbor of ours for the past 1+ year
Plus
-Shaft drive. Adds weight, but for very small children; they just can’t get the foot in the chain, no matter how hard they try. And this removes the largest maintenance item for dad/mom.
-These bikes are everywhere. Have their own race classes everywhere. The only more dominate mini bike may be the XR50.
-Low geared and strong. Seemed to pull steep hills better then the JR.
Minus
-Rear suspension is marginal. Drive shaft and part of motor are unsprung mass.
-I don’t like the ON/OFF/START switch, and the rest of the handle bar gear, but this is subjective.

Both are great starter bike, and I’m sure both of you will get many years of enjoyment out of either.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I went with the JR as my son's first bike also. In addition to the points in favor mentioned above I also liked the fact that it has two full size bike feratures that most other mini's don't. The first is a foot operated 'gearshift' even though the only stock gears were neutral and 'in gear'. It got the little guy into the habit of finding neutral and clicking into gear before he could move. I also liked the foot operated rear brake. Once again it got the little guy used to operating a brake just like he would on his subsequent bikes.

I don't think that you could go wrong with either choice. Given that I would choose the best deal.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think either bike is a great choice. We bought the XR 50 for my nephew. Great bike, but way too heavy. Looking back, the JR or PW are both bette rchoices.

alcherny08

Apr 21, 2003
I have had expierience with the pw's. they are pretty much maintainence free except for the air filter every now and then and they have the lower seat height i believe.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
I like the JR because you can regear it a lot slower, and you can rig up a throttle stop screw too, by drilling the housing in the right place and inserting a sheet metal self tapping screw.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the pw comes stock with a throttle stop screw. also there is an avail pipe washer that limits power to about 6mph. Nice. You can also regear the PW with the ring and pinion from the Yamaha QT50 to limit topend and it makes it climb hills better.
But the JR has a "hidden" 1st gear. What you are actually in normally is second and a simple dremel job will unleash it. This gives the JR good bottom end.

I'd go with whatever is the best deal but it seems the PW's have better resale value.

Jason

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
I know this is an old post however i am trying to find info on the low gear mod for our newly purchased JR50. I have an awsome set of tools just point me in the right direction. :D

seriously, i just got my boy a brand new 04 jr50 and wanted to do the low gear mod. i knew it was an option on the jr and its twin the Kawi kd50 this and the controls being the same as a regular bike was why we chose the jr over the PW. Oh, and the little detail that we couldnt find a KTM Mini adventure in a showroom within four states of us.

TIA
Todd

Top Bottom