JR50 Jetting Q

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I've seen others post about the "sub pilot" jet in the JR50 carb. Have others just yanked it? Also, if anyone has jetting suggestions, I'm all ears. I just added an FMF pipe and Turbine Core SA. I plan to lean it out some, but don't want to overdo it.

Also, I'm considering switching it to pre-mix. Can I just block off the oil feed externally, or do I need to do more than that? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

-T

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
I am not familiar with the carb on this model but a sub pilot may be akin to a choke or idle jet which some carbs have. During normal engine operation this jet would not come into play (only during starting). I doubt that this jet would need to be changed unless there is a starting or choke issue.

smackhq

Mar 1, 2006
Hey There,

Not sure if you got your answer on this question but I have a 98' JR50 that ran like crud so I started tearing into it.
The previous owner had already removed the washers in exhaust and intake and also removed the muffler so I concentrated on the carb. I also checked the plug, buildup, air filter but they were all fine.

After reading some posts on the uncorking the jr50 many said to remove the 2nd pilot screw from the carb (there are two in the hole) which I did. Considering how easy it is to work on these little things and tear into the carb I moved the main jet setting 1 notch lower (richer) or to #4 thinking I could always put it back.

When I got it back together, fired up and adjusted idle and let it warm up for a bit to test it. I was surprised how much better it was. I'm a pretty big guy and this thing could never pull me up the driveway but it did this time. Ripped up the driveway (lol ripped...well faster for this bike), down the lawn all the while laughing my butt off. It was fun. Anyways long story but for now the little mods I did seemed to help a lot! I might fool around with the jetting and mix some more to see if I can get more out of it.

Here's my theory with these little things. Everyone pulls the restrictors washers out of them and opens the pipes up or even mods the air box. You simply cannot do that without adjusting the carb and going to larger jetting or richer.

Just my $.02 on it. Good bike to start the kids on. Wish I could get the CRF50 but thats a little out of the budget for now.

Later!

Smack

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…