Bob Dammit

Apr 19, 2006
I purchased my son a JR50 last Easter (in 05) thinking I got a deal on the bike. After replacing the rear axle, bearings, spacers, chain adjusters, I didn't think it was running quite right. I took a closer look at the bike, and realized the spark plug was about 5 inches right of the backbone. Tore the bike down, and found all the motor mounts were bent, and the one at the bottom of the back bone was broken, and re welded cockeyed, hence the sideways engine. The only logical conclusion I could come to was the bike was ran over by a car, or pickup. I spent the last 2 nights straightening, and refabing the motor mounts, and have the engine straight now.

I am planning on doing the 1st gear mod this weekend, as my son has grown in the last year, and his 2 year old brother is still too small for mom and grandma's blessings to ride.

I have a couple questions for the people who know about these bikes, and have done the mods on them as well.

1- How do I determine the year of the bike? I have looked for a website to cross reference the VIN, but haven't had any luck yet.

2- The local bike shop said to put 2 stroke oil in the case, is this correct?

3- Where are the goveners located? It has a very slow acceleration, I am hoping it is backed up somewhere.

4- What does the bolt on the bottom of the muffler do?

5- The O-ring in the exhaust, is this separate from the gasket? On mine, there is a thin rubber flange around the exhaust port on the gasket.

6- If I go to premix, what is the correct ratio?

7- If I do need a rejet, can I buy a larger jet, or will I have to drill the current jet out to a larger size? What size is recommended?

8- Other than changing sprocket sizes, and there any other mods to open this bike up any more?

Unfortunately, I bought the bike with no documentation, and I cant justify spending $45.00 for the shop manual.

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys can give me.

camit34

Apr 27, 2006
Bob Dammit said:
1- How do I determine the year of the bike? I have looked for a website to cross reference the VIN, but haven't had any luck yet.

3- Where are the goveners located? It has a very slow acceleration, I am hoping it is backed up somewhere.

6- If I go to premix, what is the correct ratio?

7- If I do need a rejet, can I buy a larger jet, or will I have to drill the current jet out to a larger size? What size is recommended?

8- Other than changing sprocket sizes, and there any other mods to open this bike up any more?

Unfortunately, I bought the bike with no documentation, and I cant justify spending $45.00 for the shop manual.

I'm needing some of the same info for the one I just bought for my son also...

Any help is greatly appreciated... :cool:

Bob Dammit

Apr 19, 2006
camit34 said:
I'm needing some of the same info for the one I just bought for my son also...

Any help is greatly appreciated... :cool:

1- Find the 10th digit of the VIN, and check suzukicycles (dot) org
Look under the misc pages for a VIN cross reference.

3- There are 2 restrictors, one at the intake, and one at the exhaust port. There is also a washer on the end of the spark arrester, you can just take the arrester off.

6- Still looking for an answer

7- You can buy larger jets

8- First gear mod. Found on this board.

Keep your eyes open on the online auction site that rhymes with flea-day. I picked up a shop manual for $20.

Top Bottom