JR50 - too small ??

bro

Mar 21, 2002
I picked up an old JR50 for my daughter last year. I went thru the top end and carb. It didn't run too bad, but never wanted to start after it was ridden for a while. I found a good deal on a newer engine and carb this spring so I put that in. It starts real good but just kind of bogs out when you put a load on it. I changed sprockets so I am running 12/35 front/rear. If you baby it along you can get it going fairly well

My question is, am I expecting too much out of this little engine? My daughter is a little over 90 lbs. She is scared of the XR50 so I wanted to keep her on the JR for a while. Do any of you Dad's out there ride a JR, will it pull you OK?

Thanks

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
I have a 1999 JR50 that my two boys learned to ride on. Both started at four years old @45lbs. The oldest is now 10 and about 95lbs. On flat ground the bikes moves along pretty good, any sort of elevation changes and it becomes a DOG.

Short answer, Don't expect much from that bike.

pw50123

Aug 14, 2004
We had a 1985 jr 50 it was worn. Same problem with getting hot and not wanting to start. I rode it a few times and it did not have a lot of power. my sone went to his first race with it and got smoked. The next day we bought him a pw50 and it had more power. Next race 2nd place. Yes the Suzuki is slower. If she likes riding it LET HER RIDE! At least she still like riding. Not a bad place to keep her until she is ready to move to the XR. Also Try putting the XR is second gear and removing the shifter.

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
My middle boy rides a JR50, these bikes are bad picky about the jetting, they're rich, It took me a full day of tweaking on the carb, from adjusting the needle and air screw and floats to get it right.
Their not meant for big kids but my 6 year old its fine as long as I can convince him to quit trying to jump it.
Terry

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…