desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Where do I start?

The misses, jr., and I left Murrieta on Tuesday morning around 9am. After scores of feeding stops (jr. is only 9 months old) we pulled into Fish Creek around 3:30 or so.

After talking to Kiwi the night before we decided to take the first two spots (Tee followed us up) as you pull into fish creek. Kiwi told me that the first spots were the largest so we figured we better grab them before someone else did.

By the time we got camp set up and figured out a plan we saw the HUGE motor home towing a trailer full of bikes pull in. We figured it might be one of our fellow DRN brethren so we went down and said hello. Turned out to be Tree and his family. We helped Tree get backed into a spot and started to help unhook the trailer when the crank broke on the trailer tongue. It was quite a site to see Tee and Tree’s two kids standing on the back of the trailer while Tree lifted the tongue and I put boulders under it so that he could pull the motor home out of the way. Thus the beginning of the adventure.

That evening and throughout the weekend a barrage of DRN’s showed up. Before the weekend was over Scar Tissue and his family, Thumbs, Firelily and Buddy, oldandslo, Kiwi and his crew, Dirt Junkie and his friend Tom, The Eel, CptJack, Boodac, Bill Beard, placelast and son, and holeshot had joined us for a weekend of fun. There may have been more but I brain dead from the dust and lack of oxygen due to the high altitude.

Tee, Tree and I did our first ride on Wednesday morning. We took the Fish and Troy connector to Beach Ridge Trail up to the Blackrock information station to get fire permits. Of course the information center is closed on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s.

Tee was having some major jetting issues so we headed back to camp to work on that.

Wednesday afternoon, Tee and I hooked up with Buddy and Firelily and did a similar ride but took Beach Ridge Trail all the way up to where it dead ends into Albanita.

Thursday morning we worked on Tee’s jetting some more. (God I love my KTM 4-smoker) We finally got it to at least run so Thursday afternoon we hooked up with Scar Tissue and rode up Jackass to Albanita and came down Beach Ridge Trail to the Fish and Troy connector back to camp.

Thursday night while sitting around the campfire I mentioned something about an early morning ride. Everyone except for Buddy and Firelily said that they would see us when we got back. Something about riding at 6am was against the laws of nature or something.

Well we did not quite make it out at 6 but somehow around 7:30 am Tee and I took off and went up Jackass Creek and Jackass Peak trails to the Manache Meadows. We crossed the Kern River and did some exploring.

On the way back while coming across the Kern I had this momentary lapse of common sense and decided I would wheelie through the river. Due to lack of traction or something the front wheel did not come off the ground and I ended up soaked. Apparently Tee had the same momentary lapse of sense and decided to fly through the river crossing at mach 7 and almost ended up swimming.

Now normally getting soaked during a ride in SoCal is quite refreshing but it was 9am, the water was probably 60 degrees and it was about 70 degrees outside. I think I stopped breathing for about 30 seconds when that wall of water hit me. :scream:

Needless to say Tee and I stopped, took off our jerseys, proceeded to wring them out and laid them in the sun to dry while we had a snack and took in the scenery. Some camper near by said they thought it odd that we would ride all the way out here to do our laundry. We all laughed. :moon:

Friday afternoon placelast mentioned doing a multi stage ride on Saturday morning. He suggested that we load the bikes into the trucks and stage in key areas that way we could ride all of the good trails without having to worry about gas. We were going to start with the northern trails in the morning and hit the southern trails in the afternoon.

So Saturday morning around 8am, Tee, Scar Tissue, placelast and his son and I took off to our first stop. We parked on a dirt road close to where Beach Ridge and Albanita intersect. We took Albanita to Beach Trail and all was going good until placelast’s son sheered the right foot peg off of his zooki. So being the gracious father that he is placelast gave his son his bike and took the broken bike back to camp. So Tee, placelast jr., Scar Tissue and I took off again.

We took Beach trail up to Blackrock Mountain Trail and were having a great time. I was leading the pack and came to a junction so I decided to stop and wait for the rest of the boys when I looked down and discovered that my fanny pack with my wife’s expensive digital camera in it had come unzipped and was now empty. Talk about panic. I had some damn good pictures on that thing. I turned around and started scanning the trail for the camera and then it dawned on me that I hadn’t seen the boys in a while. Now I’m a pretty good rider but I ain’t that good. I finally meet up with placelast jr. and Tee.

Well the good news was that jr. saw my wifes camera on the trail and picked it up. The bad news was that Scar Tissue deciede to wrap his foot around a rock and couldn’t shift so he rode back to camp on the paved road. :whiner:

And then there were three… We continued up Blackrock Mountain Trail to a Jeep road that took us up into the Manache Meadow. We played around up there for a while and then decided to head back. We took Jackass Peak and Albanita back to the truck, loaded up and headed for camp.

I decided to call it a day and actually a weekend for riding. I was so tired I could barely stay on my bike during that last ride so I enjoyed the rest of the weekend hanging out with the family. Everyone except for Tee and I left on Sunday so it was really quiet in Fish Creek on Sunday night. We cooked up some big old T-Bones and enjoyed nature’s wonders.

Damn I hated to come home……

Last edited:

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Desert Racer,

Cool report! I wish we could have made it! I still have a yearning to check out KM but we still haven't made it there yet. Due to Justin's broken collar bone we decided to play it cool for a while and just do overnighters and day trips until we get the thumbs up from his Dr. Maybe we'll make it next time!

Thanks for the report...felt like I was experiencing it with you. By the way, how did your nine month old enjoy the camping thing? We are taking our 15 month old to Lake Pinecrest this weekend. It is his first camping trip so wish us luck!

Karna

Bill Beard

Dec 3, 2001
It was good seeing you guys up there. I've ridden with some of you and wanted to ride with others, but my Bro-in-Law (Butch) and I rode for three days already and were tired too. We just kicked back after the 4th and left for home on the 6th. Nine mile canyon hurt my truck's tranny on the way up, so we headed out early Sat. am. Left my 5th wheel at Butch's in Apple Valley and will pick it up again when the truck gets fixed. I'll be looking for a ride near Phelan/Victorville/Apple Valley when I come back.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
That was my first time to Kennedy Meadows and it was great. Although Ill never try and drive up their in the dark again. I showed up Wednesday night and decided to take the kids out for a ride Thursday. Low and behold after we came back I learned my brother broke his ankle on an earlier ride and ended up taking him to the hospital. Needless to say I ended up with only three rides for the weekend, but other than the dust the riding was great. Im dfinately heading up there riding again for the summer. I was looking foward to riding with the DRN's at least one ride but circumstances being what they were limited that oppurtunity until next time.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Excellent report Rex.

Wish I could have been there. :ugg:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Karna,

This was actually Austin's (9-month old) 4th camping trip. He does pretty well except he usually gets off of his schedule and doesn't sleep as well in his playpen. Good luck with your first trip. You should definately check out KM. This was my first time but won't be the last. It is truly awesome up there.

Boodac,

Sorry to hear about your Bro in Law... Those rocks seem to reach out and grab your feet.

Dez

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Ahhh, Jackass and Albanita, my favorites. :) I've never been to KM when it was dusty but I can imagine in the summer months it could get bad.
Playing in the river huh? Did you look something like this? Click (I'm in there somewhere) ;)
Great ride report but I didn't hear any "after ride" stories. I know there had to have been some fun around the campfire. Did you guys all get together in the evenings?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Another great weekend!!

We arrived Thursday morning at about 2:30am and were almost immediately greeted by Desert_Racer who just happened to be up with his little fellow. He guided us in to a camping spot and we got set up. Leaving the sleeping kids in the truck, Estela and I set up everything and then walked around the camp. Her dog had never been campng before and was pretty freaked out with every sound and shadow - city dog, ya know?

At 6am the kids came inside accusing us of trying to freeze them to death - I mentally cursed myself for not locking them in the truck. Up at about 10:30 we cruised the camp meeting people and then I suited up to take a ride with my personal victim, Estela's son Adam, on the XR200. We cruised the Jackass fire road until he felt comfy with the bike and then went up the connector trail to Troy a couple of times. Later that afternoon we tested our night vision with a late afternoon ride up Beach Ridge to Albanita. Coming back in the near dark was fun for some (me, I had a headlight) and allowed us to witness Adam earn his new name "Faceplant".

We cleaned up and after a delicious salmon dinner we headed down to the camp to BS and hangout till late.

Friday we split up with Porkchop and Dirtjunkie leading a crew to Kernville via the Cannell Meadow trail - this is one of the best trails in the forest and should not be missed. I lead a group on a 50 mile ride covering the southern portion of the area touching on my favourite trails to Stoney Meadow and then up to the Sherman Pass where we met up with Thumbs who had had to go back to camp after breaking a front brake lever.

Continuing on we went up to Sherman Peak at 9900 feet to enjoy the awesome view and count rocks. We retraced our steps until Bonita meadow where those of lucky enough to be street legal bypassed the whooped section by taking the road. Before leaving I gave the guys instructions -" Go down to Jackass and turn right and we'll meet you at the top".

Seems pretty simple but they heard " Go down Jackass and turn right". Amazing how one little word changes the whole meaning. An hour later (should hae taken them 20 minutes) they turn up with the Eel looking as if he had stolen all the dust on the trail and was going to wear it home, what a dust magnet.

Saturday Porkchop, Faceplant and I headed off on the road to hit Blackrock trail and then the Monache Jeep road down to Monache Meadows and the South Fork of the Kern River where we met up with almost everyone else.

Relaxing down by the river I took the opportunity to ride Capt Jack's near new Gas Gas XC250 on the jeep road around the meadow. This is one very fast bike - a genuine 100mph 250, I never got it in to 6th gear but saw near the top end of 5th at about 80 mph. The meadow is flooded in winter so has numerous little crossings which are mostly dry now and provide some pretty good jumps at about 60mph. Wonderful suspension and motor made the bike a pleasure to ride.

Faceplant decided that the river looked like fun to cross so he went at it, slowly at first and then faster until he had a wave of water 3 feet above his head. Unfortunately he did not crash spectacularly as we hoped, but never the less he provided good entertainment.

Faceplant has only 5 days total riding but is progressing so fast we decided to take Jackass Peak and Jackass Creek trail back. He did really well with only a couple of drops, a good solid faceplant or two and a nearly off the side saved by a bush heartstopper. Reaching camp at 6:30 we rushed through dinner and showers so we could catch "Shrek" showing at the outdoor movie down at the store.

Sunday was a pretty quiet day - I took Talya for her first ride on the front of my bike up the Jackass fire road and then her Mom the same way. After that it was pretty much pack up and say bye to Desert Racer and Tee, who were the only ones left.

An uneventful drive back after a great weekend left us talking about our next trip - when?

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Desert_Racer was hitting on me all weekend. Anytime that I was shirtless or taking a shower he would magically appear. He also kept making comments about my Gludious maximus. Kinda gave me the hebee jebee's. But since I didn't give him the time of day he turned his attention to Tree. We always thought he was a "Tree hugger". :scream:

On Friday I rode 85 miles and was dead tired when I got back. I was not my usual chipper self around the campfire that night. I more than likely it was due to the long ride and the bottle of Gentleman Jack that I passed around the campfire. This resulted in me being renamed by my fellow campers. The new name given to me was/is "Eor". I guess he's Whinny the Poo's side kick. (I said poo, Elk should like that) He is kinda slow and talks with a monotone voice much like myself that evening.

No doubt we had some great laughs around the campfire.
Chris was Killing me with his ghost joke.
Scar though that Rex was kissin his wife and didn't know if the were supposed to be swappin.
CPT Jack said very little but chimed in with some sick South Park dog humor that I can't repeat here.
I told everyone about what happen to my cat when it drank some gas. (kinda sad story but funny)
Kiwi told us about the time he woke up in the center of a ring of fire.
Pork chop told us about the time he was zip-tied to a chair after falling asleep infront of the campfire.
Tree took us for a music flashback.
Scott (Scar's brother inlaw) who has never been camping or ridden a motorcycle wanted to know where the nearest Star Bucks was.

That it for now.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Me and my family had a great time. I have never been to such a beautiful place to ride before with so many miles of trails. Unfortunetly, I didn't get to ride as much as I had hoped. On the ride with Kiwi, Thumbs, and Eel to Sherman Peak I noticed I had a cracked front rim so I turned back to camp. I didn't mind as much at that point as I was realizing how out of shape I was. The nights around the campfire were worth the trip up there. Everybody had a good time talking about their rides and making fun of each other. Tree jr. had a good time riding with Faceplant. My daughter hit it off with Estela's daughter so that kept her happy. And they all enjoyed playing baseball with Scar's son. Scar made a awsome DRN banner and some great DRN place cards. We will definetly do Kennedy Meadows again. I hope to see everyone again at a future get together. It was a blast. Thanks to Desert Racer for organizing it.

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Heck I didn''t do anything except start the thread.... I'm just glad that we had such a great turn out and everyone had fun. We will have to make this an annual event.

We can do
Reno in February
KM in July
Lake Elsinore Grand Prix in November (I'm working with 89r to get this going)

Anyone know how I can get paid to organize rides??

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Had a great time again! I love going up there. I was balencing family mode with riding mode so I didn't join up with as many rides as usual. Jake (3yrs old) and Joey (1 yr old) had a great time and did great the whole weekend. As did Rex and Angies, Austin.

It was good to see everyone who made it and I was glad to host campfire central. We enjoyed having the whole crew around.

Rex, Angie, and Terry, It was great hanging out with you all week. My wife and I really enjoyed your company.

Capt. Jack Glad you could make it for the free bike maintanence :moon:

Thumbs, "EYOR" Thanks for bring up the wood and hauling our the trash. Bummer we didn't hook up to ride all weeked.

Tree and Linda the Margaritas were great :) As were your kids. Jake (Larry Boy) really enjoyed playing with them and Kiwis/ Estellas Daughter Tayla. Good luck at the over the line tourney. :)

Placelast And JR glad you made. It was good riding with you for the brief time. Bald Mountain lookout was well worth the trip/ short hike. Thanks for the tip.

It was fun relaxing and NO I do not want to be back at work yet.

See some of you at the Carlsbad GP :)

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Hey Desert Racer that's a pretty good schedule but you need to add a trip to Ocotillo (Oct?) and the sand dunes (Jan?) then it will be complete.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
We've got 9 days of camping, riding and night time fun at Jawbone for the Thank and Spank over Thanksgiving so get your vacation requests in. Jawbone has every type of riding including what you saw up at KM.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
Jawbone has every type of riding including what you saw up at KM.
Uhhh, come again?? :think: I don't recall seeing ONE tree at Jawbone. Which sounds pretty good to me these days. :confused:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Jr & I arrived Fri. eve., just before getting dark to set up (tent trash) camp; we took Old & Slow's spot as he was pulling out, in front of Eel.

Shortly after we arrived, Eel pulls in, covered with dust, looking like he just finished a tough enduro. Turns out he & Thumbs made a wrong turn & out in an 85-mile loop - good they were on gas-sipping 125s!

As mentioned before (I won't repeat it here, but should I? Naw...) there was a broad mix of folks around the campfire, all fun conversation.

Scar had mentioned doing a remote loop in the morning, so I proposed staging further up beyond Blackrock Station, then perhaps Bonita Mdws in the afternoon. Tee, Desert_Racer (now cactus peak? I see it's coming back just fine), Scar, Jr & your's truly for an 8am departure. We were going to do Albanita, Beach Ridge to Osa Mdws; Blackrock Ridge, then the 4WD trail to Monach Mdws; return via Blackrock/Jackass Peak, Bonita.

We staged just a few hundred feet from Albanita. Boy, what a change from late May (it snowed the day before our Memorial Day ride); the silt on the trail was a few inches deep where the sun was shining, somewhat better elsewhere but not much.

Following Albanita to the west, we eventually connected w/ Beach Ridge as it merges with Little Horse. ~ a mile up the former, Jr. was late in rejoining me as I waited for him to clear a rock/boulder section. Pointing to his right footpeg when he pulled in, I see it was sheared off! (Mind you: this was an IMS aftermarket unit.) We then speed ahead to rejoing Scar, Tee & D_R. In an attempt to provide some sort of foot rest & while the mosquitos were feasting on us, I used an xtra-large cable tie to no avail, so lending Jr. my horse, I decided to return to the truck & eventually camp to consider my options. D_R said he'd keep an eye on Jr (thanks, bud!) while they soldiered on to the spectacular Monache Mdws and the Kern River crossings (where TTRGuy did his heroic display/spash last year - it's forever etched in my memory.) As I rode back to the truck, I found where he had clipped a log (saw the remaining splinters) that laid across the trail; the trail maintenance crew had cut the log well & wide enough, but one cut was facing downward, so when Jr veered to that side the peg couldn't possibly (as normal) swing up but rather was forced downward, whereupon it was sheared clean off.

Arriving at camp, Tree, Kiwi & others suggested he weld the back together, but from an engineering standpoint having one hoop and not two compromises the resultant strength, moreover safety; the lower hoop only was reweldable, hence allowing too much moment of intertia for continued use. Too bad: I have a spare set of pegs at home.

Now I understand why my wife doesn't come along on these trips; it always takes longer to return from loops than estimated. Geesh: I remained in my gear for three hours! But it allowed me to think we should pack up & head home.

I heard Scar returned; turned out he smashed his foot. He was kind enough to offer up his WR (thank you) so I could do a second loop, but as it tured out it the 45-mile loop Jr. put in w/ the others was perhaps enough for him (from a parent's perspective; not only that, he was on my bike), as much as I'd like to put in some riding time and especially go to the Sherman Peak (vista) & see Bonita Mdw in full bloom.

We packed it up & left, getting back home by 6pm.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Hey all, that was fun.

Amanda & I showed up late Friday in time to see the dirt-warriors drag in. It looked like they're sense of humor was all used up. Yep, they were pretty beat. Way to represent Team Knucklehead! Who was responsible for that ... Kiwi I imagine. Weel, just glad it wasn't me!

Sat. Morning everyone was gone by the time I got up. They must've been in stealth mode, b/c I didn't hear them. Kiwi gave me a class on jetting the GasGas & even supplied a main for that altitude. Well, the bike ran great & finally pulled well from higher gears, but those guys were taking their time so I decide to keep fiddling w/ the bike. Then Placelast comes in with the RMX (sans footpeg) in tow, so I took advantage of his generousity - setting the sag and adjusting the chain. Well, at lesaet my bike was ready. I was going to have Scar do a top end for me, but the "Sleepin'-in" group was finally ready to ride. That's OK, I'll still let you come over & wash it for me. The trails were actually gnarlier than I expected, being pretty rocky, but the GG had no problems & we had a fun but tiring ride. I don't know how you Ironman types can ride days in a row like that. My legs & back are shot after one day.

I could find the sprocket size but Faceplant with the eagle eye spotted a 47 back there. I thought that was a fast bike, but geez -100 mph? I'm going to need to fix that. I was wondering why the heck anyone would need 6 gears of that.

I did the "quality time" thing Sunday morning & we left that afternoon so I only ended up doing one ride, but it was a great weekend. Can't wait to do it again.

Tee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
What a great trip!
I can't add much to what everyone has already said, but what an awesome place. Next year anyone?
Was good to hang out with some really neat folks and I hope to bring Missus Tee and Todler Tee next year.

Here are the pictures that I took. I'll add Rex's photos as soon as he gives them to me. Feel free to look and order prints.

Kennedy Meadows Pictures

T

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Tony, you were in our camp spot all by yourself? Where was Chris and Kota? Nice pics, nearly brought a tear to my eye. :whiner:

Hmmm, baby Roberson must have gotten Angi's good looks. :p

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I was kind of hedging on this trip because:

1. I didn't think the Nissan jalopy would make it.
2. I can't get comfortable in a tent/cot situation.

But I went anyway, and I was right, the old beater let me down at Pearsonville. A boost, a new battery and a stay in Ridgcrest got me going to KM the next morning.

I took the bike on a test ride early in the morning, and all seemed fine. An hour or so later, I left on a ride up Jackass with Porkchop leading and Old'n Stealthy and I following. Porkchop set a really brisk pace on his CR500, so I was having a hard time keeping him in sight, but then he dumped it between a couple of rocks. For a minute there, I thought he was chopped liver, but he picked it up and kept riding as if nothing happened. :eek:

My four stroke started to eight stroke as elevations and temperatures rose, so I abandoned the ride and went back to camp to get things leaned out.

The next morning I went for another test ride up Jackass. Things were going well, so I decided to keep riding to Monache and cross the river, returning four hours later (after getting lost a few times).

Later on, Eel (the Wheel) and Thumbs returned from their epic ride looking like ghosts. :)

It's a good thing I found the 2 foot thick air mattress at K-Mart, otherwise this city slicker wouldn't have made it. If next year happens, I'm bringing a real trailbike........

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Nice pics - you guys went through the shallow water though, too slow also :) Aimee - your link to your water crossing pic at KM doesn't work! I wish there could have been a way for us to make it :( Miss you guys & gals.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
I had a great time. 20 miles Wed. pm, 52 Thurs. and 103 Fri. I had to cheat on Fri. The last 50 was on the Hiway. 5:20 seemed a little late to be leaving Kernville and trail riding to Fishcreek, then packing up camp and driving back to LA. Need to thank Porkchop and Dirtjunkie for waiting for me. I'm a little slow. Those down hill right handed swithcbacks are to tuff for me.

The only thing harder for me was trying to stay upright on my chair. The later it got the harder it was to stay upright.

Wish I could have stayed longer. I had to get back to LA Fri nite, so I missed talking to you late comers.

See y'all nest time.

oas

Top Bottom