KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
I am in the 125C class and I need help with jump confidence. I don't know if there is really anything that anyone can tell me to help me. Tables and small doubles aren't that big of an issue to me, but the big doubles and larger step up's and step down's are hard to conquer for me. ex. there is a big doubles coming out of a corner at one of my favorite tracks and I can't find the courage to hit it. Any advice??

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
I guess the whole work your way up to it doesn't work on doubles like it does on tables. :)

I can't really give you personal experience because I haven't ridden a dirtbike at a track yet. But, the only thing I can think of would be to find someone on a 125 that can clear it and talk to them about it. Ask them what gear they're in and things like that. Maybe watch them a few times to see their body position and that sort of thing.

Good luck. :cool:

islandrider125

Damn Yankees
Dec 4, 2006
What i did was first watch the local pros hit the doubles and what speed there at. Then just find a table top around the same size or bigger, but really it all comes down to sucking it up and going for it.

remember pinning never hurts :)

KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
yeah I agree pinning can hurt I've broken my wirst once and been knocked out twice by pinning it. I guess that contributes to my fear a little bit. Thanks for all the advice though.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
KXRacer469 said:
yeah I agree pinning can hurt I've broken my wirst once and been knocked out twice by pinning it. I guess that contributes to my fear a little bit. Thanks for all the advice though.

I'm gonna assume you're talking about Wildcat Creek?

I know the jump.. Just get an idea how far you can make the table top before the finishline. Then see if you can jump the same distance as that double. the tabletop is about the same height and face angle is about right.

If you stand in the pits and look at that jump, the landing isn't as bad as it looks from the jump.. It's actually pretty forgiving. Just don't come up too short.. Seen that happen to a dude last summer.. I think he's still out there trying to find a nut.

Last edited:

KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
nice, your exactly right.
thats my favorite track.
I didn't know the table was the same pitch.
I've gone far enough on that to clear the double.
I'll just get the feel for it and shoot.
My friends said second gear does it for him, buit im not sure.
thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Wildcat is on my list,joliet canceled sunday also! We ended up in the sand,wet sand rules! I am having difficulty with big jumps,FEAR suks! And I know,the jumps are safe and very do able,its just a little more throttle and a lot more committed! Dirt mx,grand re-opening this sunday,be there! With a 450 back in the stall the excuses are at a minimum!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am thinking of moving to kingsbury,2 of the best tracks in Indiana! He shut down dirt mx a couple of weeks ago and the Grand Re -opening is Sunday,no sneak peeks for practice till Sunday. I will stick with the age classes and Ryan has shown big improvements in 125A class,I have to keep him off the 450,for now!

KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
Do you have a link for dirt mx, I dont think I've heard of it, has anybody ever been to Motoland, those jumps look pretty big.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Have you ever tried following someone off a jump you've never done? Just make sure you're not following to close. And doesn't doing the big jumps come with seat time? I was racing supercross this weekend and out of a corner the was like a 40' tripple into a 35' double that lots of the 80 kids were doing and I just about tried it, but decided I would wait until I had ridden the track a bit more.

KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
I've never tried that before, do you mean stay side by side with them up the jump?
Yeah it does come with seat time which I haven't got alot of this summer due to me getting a job, moving, and having to replace my top end. But I plan on riding this weekend so I'll see what I can do.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
KXRacer469 said:
I've never tried that before, do you mean stay side by side with them up the jump?
Yeah it does come with seat time which I haven't got alot of this summer due to me getting a job, moving, and having to replace my top end. But I plan on riding this weekend so I'll see what I can do.

No I mean theyre in front of you and can see how fast they're going.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
ttp://www.kingsburymx.com/, http://www.motoland.com/, Following people can work to an extent,backing off the throttle is still the problem for me! Motoland has some big jumps for sure,dirt used to have some over 100 feet and a lot better natural terrain. Motolands claim to having perfect soil is questionable.it is tight sand! You should be able to see in your head how to jump before you do it,big whips come later! Momentum,seat bouncing and preload are crucial,and lots of practice! Did anyone do a search?

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
The best advice I have is if you arent 100% confident you are going to make the jump, dont hit it.

A big part of riding is mental, and if you go off a jump scared and something happens you have a tendency to freeze, and that can be bad news.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
150rguy said:
Have you ever tried following someone off a jump you've never done?
I always take an easy first lap to see the track and make sure that nothing has changed, even if I was there the day before. Well...almost always. I went to Durhamtown in GA one time and hopped out on the track behind a group of guys that were moving pretty well. I hadn't been there in a couple months but the track was always very safe with rounded landings so I just started pacing them and hitting all the jumps right behind them, but a little off to the side. Within about half a lap I had passed the 3 or 4 that seemed to not quite be keeping up with the front guy. I followed him and he seemed to know what he was doing...until... At the end of the first lap we hit the one triple on the track. I matched his speed perfectly. Once I got up in the air I watched him case the triple perfectly! Yep, I also cased it perfectly. Good thing they build forgiving jumps. Shook us up but neither went down. I was pissed at myself for stupidly following someone I didn't know and (apparently) shouldn't have trusted.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
mkelly04 said:
The best advice I have is if you arent 100% confident you are going to make the jump, dont hit it.

A big part of riding is mental, and if you go off a jump scared and something happens you have a tendency to freeze, and that can be bad news.
The other side of that is that once you have started making a jump, hit it every lap unless something goes badly wrong and prevents you from doing it (like losing traction and sliding out in the prior turn).

If you sometimes hit a jump and sometimes don't, EVERY time you hit it you will have doubts and might chicken out at the last second and crash worse than if you had committed.

KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
I'm going riding tommarrow out at my friends house and this sunday im going to another frineds, but if that doesnt work out sunday ill probably go to wildcat or haspin, i havent quite decided yet.

Top Bottom