Jumping critique needed - video clip

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
After going over the bars more than once, I have been determined to at least jump in good form, not necessarily too far or too high. I have a video clip of one of the jumps that I did (my best one of the day) and wanted to know if people with more experience with jumping could give me a few pointers.

It's the 6th clip down on this video page (it's 1.9M mpg):
http://www.designingfool.com/advert/dirtbikevideos/

Thanks!

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I never jump sitting down, I always stand. I feel that I have better control of the bike.

The links work fine for me.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You need to work on the jumping.Watch some videos of a national to see the difference.You should be standing when jumping so you legs take the strain rather than your back.

bentbarz

Dec 16, 2000
The idiot without the helmet actually has pretty good form. Stand up with your weight neutral, knees bent and elbows up. What you are doing is very similar to what is now being called a seat bounce, except you are letting the bike stand you up, whereas when doing a seat bounce you stand up at the point of lift off to unweight the bike.

Tell your friend if hits his head on a rock you're not carrying him out!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
At the 75% point in the clip, your body position is pretty good. Definitely stand up. As you land, nail the throttle, even if it is just for a second. Also, wind that YZ up on your approach and get in an aggressive position with your weight evenly distributed. Before practicing again, take your bud down to buy a helmet.:p

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I managed to get back to try that jump yesterday. I did another small clip of one of the 50 times I hit the jump. Towards the last jumps I was getting BEAT. That's not easy work to jump and jump and jump. It was kind of hot too.

Anyway, it's the first clip on this page, it's a 2.27M mpg:
http://www.designingfool.com/advert/dirtbikevideos/index.html

Please let me know if I am getting closer to jumping right. It did feel better standing up, and using the throttle in the air really seemed to bring the front end up. I didn't nail the throttle when I landed too much because we aren't supposed to tear up that part of the property.

Thanks again.

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Looking good, just try to stand up more when flying (like a ski jumper) but, don't lock your knees. It should feel like weighting the pegs and will push the back of the bike down. You should try to land the bike on the back wheel, unless it's the second half of a double or tabletop. Also try to not sit down but do flex your knees when landing to lessen the weighting of the suspension.

Also looks like you could use heavier springs front and rear.

vetwfo'er

Anssi

May 20, 2001
You have nailed one of the hardest things for beginning jumpers which is keeping the throttle on until you're airborn. In the new clip you jump pretty good, now just pick up the pace or find harder jumps or start practising panic revving or using the rear brake in the air. You are a bit rear-heavy on your riding, so trying to stay more to the front might be good.

You sure do have springs that are too soft. Have you adjusted the preload on the rear spring to get correct sag?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks again. I have done the panic over revving. On a couple of my jumps I nose dived and nailed the throttle and it saved me.

My springs and suspension are stock. I weigh 6' 1" & 245 lbs, and I am sure I need to have work done on my bike. You see, the plan was to get a bike, get off my ass, and get outside and lose some weight. I work on a computer and I went from 190 to 245 lbs in 4 years. Beer is going to be my downfall. :scream:

Hopefully, I will be able to drop some weight soon to give my bike a break. I don't do that much jumping since I primarily trail ride.

If the weight issue doesn't improve, I will have my bike fixed up this winter. I will probably have a new top end done as well.

Widh me luck. :D

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
245? no way..
If you want a good example of how not to jump just take a look at that video with me in it :)
Are you going to be at wayne this sunday?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Hehe, yah, sad but true. I used to be a stick boy at an earlier time in life, then I got a computer. It's been downhill ever since.

I am not going to make it to Wayne this weekend. :(

I have a flat in my new rear tire and am getting fixed tomorrow, then riding in this area. I don't feel like riding 2.5 hours to Columbus, then another hour to Wayne. I did it for almost two months straight on Sundays, so now I am burnt out on the ride.

Maybe I will be up for it next weekend.

You guys be safe, watch out for those quad riders! :D

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
www site with videos

Hey, Someone -
You might want to correct this on your site before someone opens fire on you!

===
Comments? Complaints? Shoot me andemail if you want to get in touch with me. -Jeff
===

Top Bottom