jumping position

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
What is the best position for doing jumps? How do you work the throttle through the jumping process? Sorry to ask such questions but I have had not to good of experiences with jumping.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Hands on bars, feet on pegs, smooth throttle. Oh, neutral position, not forward, not back.

Jul 4, 2006
Attack position, elbows up to absorb and squeeze with knees to control the bike. Up the face in the powerband and land with power on always.
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...hoto=02UH003C000034&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Some jumps you don't want a lot of air to keep forward momentum, here you want to absorb or soak it up.
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...hoto=02UH003D000016&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

It takes a lot of seat time (and probably ground time also :bang: ) to get the feel and confidence for jumping. The biggest problem for my son was staying on the gas for landings, the spinning back wheel will pull you back straight again. A lot of beginner kids have a sketchy jump and freeze up and let off the gas which leads to bad swap and crash. Power is your friend in this situation.

toby42

Feb 28, 2007
This took me a while to get the hang of. My struggle was everytime I was on the throttle, I'd come up nose high - and sometimes end up on the ground. But I wasn't getting anywhere - I couldn't jump far in third gear because I wasn't on the gas - because I would loop out.

The biggest tip I got to help me learn how to jump right was this: when you jump, you should be forward enough to look right down your number plate. This keeps your weight far enought forward so you can carry the thottle on through the whole jump. But ... this comes with the following warning: now you have to be on the gas when going up the jump, because if you let off a little (like I always did), you'll endo. Did that a couple times, too... It's best to learn on a big step-up. It finally got me comfortabale enought to do it elsewhere, while at the same time saved me from many loop-outs and endos.

Take a look at this pic, you'll see what I'm talking about... and good luck!

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
some good advice here, but the key think is the takeoff. what you do on the jump face sets up everything that happens after that. a lot of beginning jumpers get their weight way back as they head up the ramp because it feels safer to them. the problem is that's not going to be neutral once you're in the air, and it's almost impossible to fix once you've launched.

if you're standing as you ride up the ramp (you better be if you're a beginner!) then allow the motorcyclt to rotate upwards underneath you, and as was mentioned, your head will naturally end up over the front number plate. with your legs slightly bent, your upper body flexxed forward, and your elbows up in the attach position, you should be in good shape for a nice flight...and most importantly, a nice landing. BUT, you also have to use the right throttle control. at least some acceleration on the launch face is your best bet.

have fun and be safe!

wp.

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
SteveinSpringHill said:
Power is your friend in this situation.

It also helps stiffen your rear suspension so you dont wad as hard when you land.... like my father always said "when in doubt, power out"

rigi144

Nov 13, 2006
if you have like a tiny jump, and your going kinda fast, i found it helpful to blip the throttle at the lip so u dont completely nosedive, but thats just me...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…