paintedyellow

Dec 5, 2006
I am after some help on jumping technique as i am new to riding tracks and have previously only ridden trails and done mimimal jumps and only small ones at that
any help on basic technique and the like will be greatly appreciated (my bikes are trail oreintated but really only differ in that they have slightly softer suspension and different power curve)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The TM and WR will probably do fine when jumping, but the TTR will not handle it as well.

Any particular type of jump that is giving you trouble?

Obviously, starting with forgiving tabletops is much smarter than going for doubles right away.

BTW, that TM sure is a nice looking bike!

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
For what it's worth thought... jumping small doubles when speed and air are reasonably low miscues most likely won't be the end of your season. I might suggest you make sure your judgement, decision making and skills are in line before going for the 50 footer. Can't believe I'm typing this but learn how to case and pancake (over jump) properly... yep, actually practice casing. Learn how to bring the front up/down, and straighten the sideways bike. Understanding these skills will help your jumping confidence as you'll know what to do in those mili-seconds prior coming up short or sideways.

It's all in the suspension setup... and the setup changes with each track and conditions, another must learn.

For what it's worth, get technique jumps will happen, not only that they'll be fun. You can search for books and vid's on the subject... personally, it would most likely be to your advantage to hang out at the track and ask the better riders to help you out. Mx guy's are brothers and most will go out of their way to get you in the right direction. I'd invite you to come over and ride with my son and I but the gas for you to get here could buy a lot of "how to" stuff.

jackfox

Dec 22, 2007
hi there dude start of with smaller jumps get used to the feel of ur bike in the air gradually increase the size of the jumps u are doing eventually work ur way up to table tops and then eventually doubles tip: to align ur bike in the air b brake , f brake and trottle b brake: tilts u forward in the air f brake:tilts u backwards trottle: centralises u. schweet hope u cum right . :cool:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
jackfox said:
to align ur bike in the air b brake , f brake and trottle b brake: tilts u forward in the air f brake:tilts u backwards trottle: centralises u.
Not exactly. Hitting the rear brake in the air will rotate you forward (drop front, raise rear). Hitting the front brake in the air will do the same thing. Giving the engine more gas in the air will generally raise the front/lower the rear.

colt45

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2007
I know stupid question but how do you guys judge the speed that you should hit a jump? Just look at it and hit it or are there things to look for.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Not stupid at all. It is something everyone has to deal with.

I go mainly by looking at the jump and comparing it to other, similar jumps I have done. You can also follow someone (you trust) to get a good idea, but you really need to know what they are doing with the throttle and body position on takeoff because you get very different results hitting the same jump at 32 mph when accelerating hard than you do at 32 mph coasting.

Top Bottom