highrange101

May 20, 2007
I'm 33 and just bought a RM 250 2 stroke. I do have street riding exp. I'm getting used to riding on dirt now I'm getting faster in turns. But for some stupid reason I can't get more then a foot of the ground. At last min let go of the throttle and might be lucky to do a "pop a wheelie" I have 2 boys 9 and 12 that are clearing 15/20 ft tabletops. I have a job and cant get hurt, but I would like to hit a few jumps and enjoy myself.
My main prob is i'm not sure what gear to use or common speed to hit a jump with or what to do just before bike leaves ramp or what to do when bike is in air. looks so easy when my kids do it

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It's because you ride a YT (Yellow Turd)!

Just kidding...it's an old joke because in 97 McGrath switched to the RM250 and didn't win the championship.

For the jumps, a steady acceleration all the way up the jump and into the air is the key. Not steady throttle, but steady acceleration. If it feels too "twitchy" at high RPMs, grab one more gear but still hit the jumps with power all the way up and into the air.

Honestly, though, the jumping will come. Speed and control through the turns are much more important.

What part of SC? Where do you normally ride?

highrange101

May 20, 2007
I ride out by Bow Water in Rock Hill, and a friends track he built in his back yard in Ft Lawn. Im still a new rider so I try to stay out of sight of on lookers in case I screw up. I live in Chester and I take the kids to TNT sometimes.

dirtdog69

Jul 2, 2007
Take your time and only do what your comfortable doing....take it from someone who spent 2/12 months off work last season with 2 broken bones in his back. Like previously mentioned..steady acceleration up the jump with your butt a lil off the seat as you go over top. The key is getting comfortable putting the bike in the air and moving the bike in the air(as in leaning forward,back,etc). Once you get that down its easy. Just dont let people push you into trying something your not ready for, as us older guys take alot longer to heal and ya cant pay bills sittin laid up at home.

Top Bottom