MX 125

Aug 21, 2003
is there anyway to really tell how fast to go to clear a jump and make sure you land in the right place on the landing ramp i have only been riding for about 3 months and i am always afriad im gonna case it, or miss the ramp completely (which i did and got some real bad road rash and a concustion) so is this just something i will learn with practice or is there somekind of rule.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
You will learn it with experience, but the most sure fire way (and how many pro's do it) is to follow someone else over it. I usually go a little faster than the person I am following, just in case. Better to over jump than to come up short. Once you get the first one out of the way, turn around and do it again (if it's really big, follow someone else over it again) real quick so you get the feel. From that point on, it's usually cake.

MX 125

Aug 21, 2003
k thx thats what i plan on doing on the track but i was maonly worried about if i was in a sand pit wit my freinds and had never treid the jump before but i guess its just trial and error

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
If you can jump it to the side until you get the distance that is the safest, but these days you can't do that at most tracks. Ask the riders clearing it what gear they are in, how far into the powerband, whether they are steady throttle or on the gas hard for more lift/distance. I short jump doubles first, landing just short of casing it, to get the feel of the takeoff ramp. Find a jump with smooth takeoff, not a kicker, to learn on. Once you are comfortable short jumping it, typically 1 gear higher and on the gas moderately hard will clear it easily. Most 30-45' jumps on typical tracks in my area can be easily cleared in 3rd on a 250. Probably 4th on a 125. You really need to do a lot of flat landing jumps for distance until you are very comfortable with that. That way you can overjump a double at first. Power on landing, body forward, for smoother landing. Body forward on takeoff, legs snug against bike. Be familiar with panic rev and mid air weight shifts and mild whips before trying any serious doubles. There are a lot of unsafe doubles out there, be careful.

Top Bottom