BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hey can anyone help me out ........ This is my first year ridding motocross. I have a cr80 expert, my boyfriend decided this weekend that its time for me to enter my first race. I asked him what should I expect for my first time out there. He really did not have any answers. He said just go out there and ride and have fun.

Can any of you give me an idea what to expect...... do you see many 80's in the womens class. Whats it like ... I have been practicing at the track with the 125 an the 80's ..... can anyone give me any tips .... I never see any other women riders out on the track ..so I dont know what to expect:scream:

Well any advise would be great ...thanks a ton :)

STACY:cool:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I mostly do desert races, but one thing that applies to motocross the same as desert racing is to make sure you HOLD YOUR LINE so you don't get taken out. Also, this is something that should be your decision--not your boyfriends. :silly:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ya, exactly how much fun are you going to have if you didn't decide to race yourself??

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Before everybody bags too hard on your boyfriend, let me say maybe he has judged your skill and thinks you're ready for a little competition. But that's not the issue here. If you don't feel comfortable racing, don't do it, but if you think you can and he thinks you can, go for it!

That said, I think racing is the most fun thing I have ever done. You will get a few practice laps so you will have an opportunity to run the track with other people on it before you line up at the gate.

RELAX. This is fun. Do remember that we all ride because we enjoy it. Try your darndest, but don’t expect to win—and don’t be embarrassed, or angry or frustrated, if you don’t. The women’s class is the most forgiving class to race since MOST women (there are plenty of exceptions) aren’t as brutal and are way more cautious—don’t sign up for the 80, supermini or open beginner classes. You will get run over in the carnage.

There are no cc divisions in the women’s class, There will be gals on all type of bikes. I don’t know about your area, but around here, 125s and YZ 250Fs are the most popular choices. I ride a KTM 200 and will race it for my first time soon. I raced the XR200 I used to have a few times before I sold it—harescrambles, indoor "rough scrambles" (a small easy track) and one arenacross on a friend’s BBR. I personally am not a great rider and don’t expect to win myself—I just go out there so I can say "Yeah, I race."

I am assuming you have ridden on this track, or a track, before and have watched mx races before. Are you familiar with the race format? Every track, depending on time frame and class sizes, does things different. There may be 2 motos or you may just have one. You may be in a combined class with Supermini, or vets or oldtimers, or some other smaller class if there aren’t enough women for a full gate. Make sure you know what moto you’re in and if it is a 2-moto format, check again after halftime since the order might change. Be geared up, warmed up and on the line at least 3 motos before you start.

Holding your line is excellent advice. Don’t worry about what the person behind you is going to do—just ride at your own pace and let them pass where they want to.

Don’t worry about going big over the jumps. You’ll lose way more time if you take a jump and eat it and have to get up and re-start your bike than you will if you roll it. Concentrate on corners and whoops—these are excellent places to pass and far less dangerous than jumping. Many people concentrate on jumping since it is so COOL but if you can scream through the whoops and rail the corners, you’ll be able to take them.

Go at your own pace. Challenge yourself, don’t just putt, but don’t ride out of your limits because you can get hurt. You can get hurt that way just out fun riding but in a race, there are other people who might not be able to avoid you if you ride like a squid and are all over the place. If you fall down, get up and get your bike off the track as soon as you can to get out of the way, then restart and get going again. Don’t worry about what other people think or say.

I love racing and can’t wait til I can get the new scoot—which totally screams—out there and see what it can do. I’ve only had it 2 weeks and I already can turn faster laps than on my old bike. Is your boyfriend racing too or is he going to be able to help you out? Have fun, good luck, and e-mail me if you have any other questions.

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
Since I have never raced before....but he has for many years I find that he usually gives me good advise, if it was up to me I would have been out there the first day I got my bike. I was just looking for some inside info from other women who have raced seeing that my boyfriend he can not give me that perspective :D

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
thanks

Thanks fireckracker.... thats just the advise I was looking for!!!!:)

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
This is what you should expect: You should expect your boyfriend to make sure your bike is totaly race ready, he should go to sign up with you and explain how to fill out the entry form, (not that you can't figure it out but it helps to have someone with you who has done this before) he should show you how to figure out what race (and practice) you are, he should let you know when to get ready to go to the starting line, he should go to the start with you and wait with you until the race starts. When the gate drops your job starts. :)

After you ride practice, you should evaluate the track, where did you feel good, where did you have difficulty, how are you going to address this during the race. Where is the start, where is the finish, what do the different flags mean. Know that the track will change from practice to your 1st moto, and change again for the 2nd moto. The ruts will get deeper and the track will get rougher. Where should you change the line you ride to make the track work for you and you ability and riding style.
Rest between motos, stay out of the sun, wear sunscreen, eat lightly, stay hydrated. And remember...This is FUN! :D

Best of luck and we will want a full race report.

Last edited:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by sgr
Where is the start, where is the finish, what do the different flags mean.

Sgr, I wish somebody would have given me this advice on my first couple of races. My husband and friends automatically assumed that I would know where the start/finish & what the different flags meant, but I didn't.

I was late to my first race because I didn't know where the start was & I did an extra lap on my second race because I didn't know what the different flags meant, and on my third race I had the sweep chasing me down to let me know that I had already finished. Yikes!

Good advice! :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
BUK0138 - are you going to race Casey?

I'm guessing that you're going to race at Casey this weekend, right? I know you have practiced down there... so you should be set to race the women's class.

Here is my best info/advice:

Get there early!! ($7 gate fee a person) Sign up right away (sign up starts at 7:00, I think, and practice at 8:30) - you'll need to buy an AMA card ($39) and a district 17 card ($20) and you can sign up for the women's class on your district 17 form. Then you'll need to sign up for the race ($25) - just put women's class, your bike number, and the other info on the onion skin (sign-up form). Make sure to ask them the practice order and ATTEND THE RIDERS MEETING (they will tell you about the start and the flags, etc.)!!

For practice - Casey runs all of the 80's on the track at once - so you'll pactice with them. Just be aware when someone is coming up behind you - stay to the outside on jumps and keep your lines. For your actual race - they will put you with another class, probably 80's or super-mini (100's) but they'll give you your own gate drop off the start if you ask. The finish line (and where they give you the flag) is right after you turn left after the 6 whoops by the tower. You'll probably run 4 laps.

Casey uses a stop-light for their starting procedure. When it goes yellow - you put your bike in gear and be ready. When it goes green, they will drop the gate within 2-8 seconds usually. Watch the light for a few classes before your moto.

If there are any other girls racing there, they will more than likely be on 80's or 125's. But Casey usually has a small women's turn out - like 1-3 girls - so you can just go out there and have fun!! Like a few others said earlier - keep your line, and if the other class (like the super-minis) are coming through to pass you - let them by! Don't swerve in front of them or go down the middle of a jump that you're not jumping to avoid any unnecessary collisions.

Well, that's all I can think of now - if you have any more questions - just ask! Or ask Nadine at the track - she will be in the sign-up/scoring tower. Have fun and let us know how it goes!! :confused:

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
THANKS.........

I just wanted to say thanks for all the inside info.... Unfortunately my racing debut has been postponed for at least a week:(

The plans were all set, for a weekend of "racing" fun down at Casey, but plans have changed.... one of my co workers is going to become a dad this weekend and he needed his shift on Saturday covered. How could I tell the guy no....... Well it looks like I will have to see what's scheduled for next weekend and give it a try.... maybe the motocross gods :confused: will look kindly upon me for my good deed and make my first race a fun experience... when the day finally comes ..... until then practice practice practice;)
And thanks again for all your advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will put it to good use.

Thanks again
Stacy

Top Bottom