IronBear74

Mar 30, 2010
Hello,

I just acquired a 1989 KDX 200 that needs some work. The bike basically cost me $0 dollars so I'm willing to put a few hundred into it. The bike needs some plastic work because it's missing the front light assembly and the rear fender with the light and pouch. The previous owner decided to use KX plastic instead so my plans are to switch that back to the original configuration. Is there a good site to buy cheap OEM plastic? Ideally, it would be nice to find an entire parts bike for cheap.

Also, I replace the water pump cover and put new wheel bearings in the rear wheel. For some reason, its still leaking anti freeze and when I fill it up, anti freeze is getting into the oil, which to me is a good indication of a bad head gasket, but the bike doesnt smoke when running, and the engine sounds nice and strong. I'd like to fix this bike up to use as a spare because I also have ATV's that I ride too.

With that, can someone give me suggestions on what to check?

Thank you for your help.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
there is a seal in the side cover called the water pump impeller seal you need that replaced

the water cooling only goes around the head and cyl.(if you notice the rubber coolant lines go to and from the h2o pump) meanin the coolant doesn't pass through the "block"

IronBear74

Mar 30, 2010
sr5bidder said:
there is a seal in the side cover called the water pump impeller seal you need that replaced

the water cooling only goes around the head and cyl.(if you notice the rubber coolant lines go to and from the h2o pump) meanin the coolant doesn't pass through the "block"

I wasn't aware of that and thank you for your input :) This makes me feel better for sure

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Check the seal. Another tip would be to check other expensive items before dumping a lot of cash into making the appearance better.

Top Bottom