micah 23

Jun 28, 2003
Just bought my first two stoke bike. Have a couple questions about it.

Do I need to mix race gas with regular gas to bring the octane up?

I have been reading mostly four stroke forums and they always talk about not giving it any throttle while kick starting it. Does this hold true with 2 stokes? I only started it once but seemed like i had to give it a little gas to get it going.

For premixing all you have to do is figure out how much oil to mix with the gas, add it, then shake it? I am pretty sure I already know this but just wanted to ask just incase.

Thanks for the help, anything else you could advise or any info would be aprreciated.

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
you can use race gas & regular gas for higher octane... or some people use octane boosters. Personally, I just use high octane pump gas. Works OK for my purposes.

you can give it some throttle if you want when you first go to start it, but you don't have to. 4-strokes flood easily, so it's a big no-no, but with 2-strokes it doesn't really matter. On a cold engine, i just turn my choke on and kick it over a couple of times and it starts right up

as far as mixing gas, just figure out how much oil to put in how much gas you're using, and mix (shake, stir, swirl, whatever). some people use ratio rite, click for a link, and some 2-stroke oils tell you how much to add to a gallon of gas for whatever ratio. 32:1 is a pretty safe ratio, some people use 40:1, which is probably ok too. i use an accu-mix jug, click for link

pat567

Oct 26, 2002
I have a 02 rm125 and I run my premix at 40-1.when i started from cold I use choke and let idle for a little bit andturn off choke and shes ready to go.For jetting info there is a post in this forum so you can do a search for info.I love this bike,absolutely no problems-enjoy.

micah 23

Jun 28, 2003
The problem I am having now is getting it to idle without stalling. I figured i just need to adjust the idle....is this what it sounds like to you? It stalls with the choke on or off. Starts up first kick still, but just have to give it a little gas to keep it from stalling. I dont have my manual , could you tell me where the idle adjustment is. I have a good idea what one it is but dont want to turn the wrong thing.

Also, how much smoke is normal for a 2 stroke?

Blitz393

Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by micah 23
Also, how much smoke is normal for a 2 stroke?

not a whole lot, and usually only during warmup. let it idle with slight blips of the throttle for about 2-3 minutes, 1 minute being with the choke on. then ride it like a raped monkey :eek: :)

hope that helps

Rob

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Raped monkey lol, a mx bike isnt supposed to idle (2 stroke) but its up to you. When cold blip the throttle twice, pull the choke and kick with no throttle. When hot kick with throttle wide open, no choke.

Top Bottom