Just bought a 02 Yamaha yzf426...popping?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi All,
We just bought a very clean Yamaha yzf426, we ran grasstrack style track over weekend and rode it very hard for roughly 40minutes, it ran like a champ. However all of a sudden it started popping when shutting off the power, and then completley died. It would then only start on choke!!! WTF?
We let it cool down and then tried her again, the problem still persists now even cold. The airfilter was spottless, Why would this happen and what could be done to resolve this. Very dissapointing when just bought a new bike!
Boy Im glad now my Dad bought the Yamaha and I bought the Honda!!

Also any way of lowering the bike, hes only has a 30" leg?
Tks All
Steve

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
If it would only start when choked, it sounds like the pilot circuit is blocked creating a very lean condition. Have you ripped the carb apart yet? Check the plug, it might need changed as well.

rasta

Nov 17, 2004
426 popping

check to see if the fuel mixture screw fell out, it happend to mine all it did was pop before and after it fell out.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I pulled the carp apart and thuroughly cleaned it with carb cleaner, cleaned the filter and box, neither of which where dirty at all. It has a 162 main jet in her, It has solved the problem fo now, and believe me I hav no idea how as she didnt have even a spec of dirt anywhere, however she still feels very hot and i suspect shell do it again. Any Ideas? Tks Steve

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
blow the pilot jet out with compressed air. You got dirt in your tank. I would suggest to flush your tank out, then clean the carb especially the pilot.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Those pilot circuits are really hard to get all the dirt out, and it only takes a little speck to mess up the circuit. It's the same problem I had with my WR400, the idle circuit got clogged and it took a ton of work to clear it. It made was popping as well and ran a little lean due to the blockage. I seem to think it's the same issue, especially if race gas was run through it.

Top Bottom