Just bought a brand new 2002 KX 500!!!!!!

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Woohoo I finnaly found an awesome deal on a good 2002 KX 500! I have been looking for ages.

I wanted a 2002 becuase I also have a 2002 KX 250 and 2002 Banshee 350!

This thing is in utterly brand new condition; back tire isn't even worn at ALL. It only has been ridden 5 times. Its all stock!

I got this sucker for $3,200 on e-bay. The only bad part is I can't pick it up till sunday.

CLICK HERE FOR A PIC

If you scroll down, there is a pic of it right below my KX 250.

The only thing I thought was strange is that is has a PC pipe/silencer on it. The guy said it came stock with it. Is this true? I have heard of certain bikes coming with PC pipes, but I have never seen it.

Last edited:

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
What is the deal with not up dating the KX500 or even the CR500 to newer styling? Other than the graphics the KX500 looks like a 1990 model. Not to dis your bike, it looks like it's in awesome shape. I hope you like enjoy it. I am interested in a CR500. I currently ride a 1993 CR250, the last CR500's made still look like my 93 CR. I assume not enough 500cc 2 strokes are sold to see a need for upates?

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
keithb7 said:
I assume not enough 500cc 2 strokes are sold to see a need for upates?
BINGO! We have a winner. That is precisely why it hasn't changed, because there really isn't a large market for them. They don't even market the 500.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
keithb7 said:
What is the deal with not up dating the KX500 or even the CR500 to newer styling? Other than the graphics the KX500 looks like a 1990 model. Not to dis your bike, it looks like it's in awesome shape. I hope you like enjoy it. I am interested in a CR500. I currently ride a 1993 CR250, the last CR500's made still look like my 93 CR. I assume not enough 500cc 2 strokes are sold to see a need for upates?

That's exactly what I thought! I spotted a KX500 1999 model on **** the other day and it looked like it was from the early 90's if not eighties! I thought the seller was being cheeky (he had a few negatives), and I also thought that the production of 500cc crossers had ceased. Looks mint though mate :aj: won't get me on it though, I'll need a big liner for pants :nener:

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
I love the KX500s! I had an 89, which is the same essentially as your 2002 except for the front forks. The motor was unchanged from 1989 through 2004 (or 05....forgot when production ended). The power is INSANE! The handling sucks, but that's not why you buy them. My 05 RM250 feels like it rides itself compared to the old KX500. I never enjoyed it except when the throttle was cracked wide open. Nothing like a 60+ HP, 95 mph dirt bike!

I hope you know what you're in for with starting that monster. Don't ever expect to fire it up with sneakers on....unless your feet are made of iron. Also, it vibrates like CRAZY!!! You have to go over all the nuts an bolts that go into the frame after each ride or they'll start disappearing!

Other than those few negatives, it's a sick bike! :laugh:

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Find someone that used to race a 500 2stroke and ask them to show you how to start it. There's a sequence...I think it starts with finding top dead center and then kicking it the whole way through slowly and then it starts on the next kick or something. I don't remember it, but I do remember that it was very hard to start if you didn't follow the sequence, but fairly easy if you did.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Staring procedure is simple. Run the kicker down 3 times easy, then load your whole self up on that mutha and kick it like a bad dog. No wimpy leg kicks like a smaller bore, the 500 takes a full body kick.

Enjoy!

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I wont have a problem starting it. It is brand new so the compression will be fine.

I have motocross boots (fox forma pro boots).

I also have very strong legs since squats is part of my workout routine. I may be kinda small (6'1" and only 165 lbs), but I am damn strong for my size.

I already knew about the slow kicking it a couple times, and making sure it is at its highest (top) compression point before kicking it over.

The first time I ever kicked over a 500 was about 1 month ago, and it was a CR 500. The people there kept telling me how hard it was to start blah blah blah.

I didn't even jump up and throw my weight into it, just stood on it and kicked it good and hard, started first kick like 3 times in a row :)

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I did the same thing on my friends CR500. After he blabed about how hard it was to start I got on it and had no problem kicking it over.

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
my riding buddy has a KX500. He won an auction for his barrel to have a compression release added just above the carb. Pull the lever and kick. About like a 125 now!! And since the release is not on the head, but further down the barrel, the bike will start and run with the compression pulled in. The best mod to a KX500 I've ever seen!! Item # 4581489332 on eB a y.

I've actually started his bike by just using my hand. It's really neat!!

Last edited:

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
mattb348 said:
I wont have a problem starting it. It is brand new so the compression will be fine.

I have motocross boots (fox forma pro boots).

I also have very strong legs since squats is part of my workout routine. I may be kinda small (6'1" and only 165 lbs), but I am damn strong for my size.

I already knew about the slow kicking it a couple times, and making sure it is at its highest (top) compression point before kicking it over.

The first time I ever kicked over a 500 was about 1 month ago, and it was a CR 500. The people there kept telling me how hard it was to start blah blah blah.

I didn't even jump up and throw my weight into it, just stood on it and kicked it good and hard, started first kick like 3 times in a row :)

The fact that you're tall is good. The probably really isn't strength, it's height AND strength because the first time you stall it in sand, you'll be hating life if you're not tall enough to support the weight of the bike, and be able to kick it from the top of the stroke. BUT, at 6'1", it shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's still tricky to balance the bike with one leg, and put a full stregth kick from way up at the top of the stroke on the kicker.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
YFZRob said:
The fact that you're tall is good. The probably really isn't strength, it's height AND strength because the first time you stall it in sand, you'll be hating life if you're not tall enough to support the weight of the bike, and be able to kick it from the top of the stroke. BUT, at 6'1", it shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's still tricky to balance the bike with one leg, and put a full stregth kick from way up at the top of the stroke on the kicker.

Yea I think you are definitely right about the tall factor.

I can easily balance it on 1 leg and kick it actually. But this is becuase I'm tall lol!

Hey I finnaly found something being tall is good for, OTHER than being able to reach things high up. LOL!

spiracing

Feb 24, 2005
There aint nothing like a 500. A 250 is half the bike for half the man? ( sorry my 250 friends, I just had to) A 100' stright away will make up for any handling woes. The only down side is that they suck down the fuel! Ride it for a year and then youll want more power, it is adictive. Ive been in 3rd, pined, and still wanted more. Thats what N2O is for!

Aug 26, 2005
Nice collection you have! :cool:

Be careful though, CR500s are BADASS. :coocoo: There is even a thread on cr500riders.net where they discuss who has been hurt the most by their bike. You have to be slightly crazy to ride one of those, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that thread..........

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
Sandjunky said:
BINGO! We have a winner. That is precisely why it hasn't changed, because there really isn't a large market for them. They don't even market the 500.
Sez who? Its larger than you think. That is why you have AF's and Service Honda and Track Time T2's. My 500 does not need any bling to hand someones rear to em. Dont care if its a 2006. The 500 speaks for itself. I live in the Mojave Desert.......I see 500's everywhere, two of em in my garage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/engineguy129/Myscooter.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/engineguy129/MVC-039S.jpg

Someone asked about a starting sequence. Here ya go:
Give er a few sissy kicks to prime the cylinder
Get it on the compression stroke
Bring the kicker all they way to the top
Give it a good boot like you mean it (fast and hard) and she will light off. You gotta kick it hard or she wont even talk to ya. Also when your doing this...leave the throttle alone. If you crack it you'll kill the vacuum to the carbs circuits. The only time you open the throttle during starting is after you have flooded it.

Top Bottom