lilredCR80

Sep 11, 2005
I just bought an 83 CR80 for 170 bucks. It is little rough though. A guy hooked it up a little before I got it. It has new clutch and throttle cables, a new front tire, a larger seat & bigger than stock bars. It was running kinda funny the first times I took it out and the throttle kept sticking for some reason, (I later figured out it was the oversized bars pulling on the throttle cable). I also pulled the carb to see if something was wrong with it an I found that the needle valve was bent and the clip holding it at the top was broken. So I bought carb from a 2002 CR80R hoping it would work. It did. Now it pops wheelies in 2 and 3. And I weigh 160. it was quite suprising that the carb fit in with no modificaitions. Anyway now I have a rear swing arm suspension linkage and rim with disc brakes. It doesn't bolt right in at all. I have to grind the swing arm down a tad and then everything will bolt on. Now for my problem I am facing. I need a rear master cylinder(MC). I have found some 80 MCs and a 125 MC on ****. I am wondering if anyone knows if the 125 MC will work with the 80 brake caliper. From pictures I cannot tell the 2 apart. I know putting this all together might sound ghetto but I am just starting to ride and I can't afford a used or brand new 125 yet. Any advice on swapable parts from other bikes on to a 1983 CR80 will be much appreciated. :nod:

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Dont know how far back the model goes , but the CR 80 hasnt changed much over the years .
A master cylinder is a master cylinder , it will work with any caliber .
Be carefull not to dump too much cash in to the bike if you count on getting some of it back when you sell it.
If , on the other hand , you just think its cool and fun to mod the bike , go for it !

lilredCR80

Sep 11, 2005
Yea I am not planning on putting anymore than this rear brake mod and the carb I already bought. Once I get comfy with this I and am ready to move on I will sell. I already have a buyer for what I put into it. Thanks for the great advice.

scott

lilredCR80

Sep 11, 2005
The rear disc conversion is almost complete. I had to cut the lower shock mount from the 83 swing arm and mount it to the 97 swing arm. I also had to grind some of the lower part of the 97 swing arm so I could use the 83 suspension linkage. Oh yea and I had to cut the lower suspension linkage mount on the 97 swing arm completely off. It actually worked out pretty good, to my susprise. Lets see how it stands up to some jumps. Anyway I am waiting on a rear master cylinder so I will have a rear brake again. I will post pics when it is all complete. So far I have $305 into this bike including the purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom