Just got 01 KX250, 1st ride....

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...what a fricking beast...after 20min. of riding power lines I was beat and my butt was hurting....rode it home and took out the my 220, and what a pleasure....I'll always keep the kdx, the kx is another story.....

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
They are an MX bike. I ride with a friend that picked up an 01 also.

Set the rear sag and then loosen up the compression 4-6 clicks on both ends. For the rebound we softened it on the front about 4 clicks.

For gearing, use a 12t front sprocket with a 50 rear for the trails. First gear is to tall and then with the Close Ratio box, you top out quickly. The 12/50 helps get first gear down to a useable level offroad.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Tks Matt, I'm gonna pull the forks and shock tonight if I have the motivation, and send it out for rebuild, but I'll try those settings. Also, its needs new frt/r sprockets, so may try those sizes as gearing doesn't seem trail friendly. Your, buddy keep the stock pipe/sil. combo?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I ran the PC pipe and stock silencer (bounced back and forth between the stock and shorty). I think the PC pipe smoothed the hit some, but I also ran a 50 tooth rear. You can also change the timing, just remove the timing cover, loosen the Phillips head screws (careful, they'll strip VERY easily), and adjust the timing within the 3 tick marks at the top. I know one shifts the hit UP in the powerband and one shifts the hit DOWN in the powerband, can't remember which though. I had a stiffer spring on the rear end (I'm 185 #'s) and added about 5 cc's of oil to the forks on stock springs, 50/50 mx and woods. I REALLY liked the KX in the woods, although the suspension was a little too stiff (I had it set up for big hits in mx/sx), but not unbearable and easily adjustable. The bike was VERY fast and had great bottom end. I had it for 2 years and never replaced a clutch (never needed to slip it). Brakes were awesome (I liked them much better than my new Honda's). I replaced the topend once a year (If you run a search, I've got pictures posted of my topend after over 100 hours...still looked really good!). I changed tranny fluid about once a month (riding at least once a week) using the cheapest Type F ATF I could find at WalMart. The only problems I had with the bike (and didn't encounter them until the same time I got rid of it, about a month or so ago) were linkage bearings were shot and seat foam broke at the curve just before the tank junction. A new SDG precovered tall seat was #1 on the list! Give the bike a chance, it's awesome!

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Hey Tks J, I'm not gonna give up on the kx yet as I really shouldn't have ridden it in the condition its in right now. The kid who owned it prev. kindof neglected the bike. The tires are worn, missing a rear spoke, worn stock air filter--i put in new twair--, leaking front forks....but the bike has really low hrs and I couldn't resist....Its gonna take alittle work to go through it and bring it back to where it should be, but like you said the brakes are really good....and I'm not sure which to get PC pipe or FMF sst, but I want something to soften the hit and smooth out the power....so I leaning toward the PC combo....Tks again for info.....much appciated.....

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
A revalve on the suspension would help for sure, especially for a more leisurely pace.

He got the bike with a FMF pipe and added the spark arrestor to the bike. Lets see, jetting was one down on the pilot, 2nd clip on the needle and 158 main.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by nectar
I'm not sure which to get PC pipe or FMF sst, but I want something to soften the hit and smooth out the power....so I leaning toward the PC combo....Tks again for info.....much appciated.....

Skip the flashy advertised brands. Get a DynoPort pipe. The steel is thicker and is a cone pipe which gives you more power.

http://www.dynoport.com

Top Bottom