AZrider

Dec 23, 2002
Well...I did it, I just got an 03' KX 250 and have no clue as to where to start. My dad and I just unloaded it off the truck and when I started it up I couldn't believe how LOUD it was. Its pretty late so I havent gotten the chance to ride it yet, but I think I'll get the courage to put around in the backyard tommorow. Anyway, can you guys give me some information on safety and how I should go about learning how to ride? I have a helmet, goggles, and some gloves that will probably come in handy...but until I'm pretty confident about riding it I think I'll stick to polishing the bike :)

P.S. Just in case you're curious, we picked up this bike because it was going for 4,800 ODT.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Don't forget Boots! They have other safty stuff too like chest protectors, knee pads, and elbow pads, just name a couple. Just take it easy at first, have fun and be safe! Enjoy, and congrats!

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
If your planning on putting around on it at first which is a good idea, you might want to switch the plug down a heat range (br8 to br7 or whatever your running) because putting around on a two-stroke will ooze up everthing if its not set up for it. Thats what i did and still do if im going woods riding, and it works well. Just remember to switch back if your gonna do a lot of WFO.

just my 2 cents

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
i can`t say enouff about boots. I rode a cr250 for a full summer with no boots and i`m paying for it now in ankle injuries do yourself a big favor and get some boots.

AZrider

Dec 23, 2002
Wow, thanks guys, I'm probably going to get some boots this weekend, but I'm definately going to get those different plugs today. The owners manual says to break it in easily, but my friend who has a street bike says that I need to run it hard through 2nd and 4th gear, because it has something to do with the way the rings seal...Is this a good idea? I'll also be sure to take some pictures :) Oh yea, can I get some tips on maintainance or some things that need attention before I start riding? I appreciate the replies everyone.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
new rider and new bike = reading the owners manual a lot.

there are plenty of different ideas on how to break in the bike properly but if you follow the owners manual would be the safest.

double check the bike 2 -3 times as per the manual states, ever hear someone say "ehhh good enough" think about the guy who put your bike together :eek:

You can never spend too much or have too much quality safety gear in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about spending 500$ on a fancy painted helmet if I could get the same type of helmet unpainted for cheap and put the money into boots ,chest protector etc...

Take it easy ,relax, and have fun :thumb:

oh and read the owners manual a few times

Top Bottom