Just got a 99CR250, many questions

NWetRider

Sep 24, 2004
Just got the bike. Want to set it up for tight woods. Lots of steep hills, roots and rocks. Very few fast sections or whoops.

First gear seems too tall for the riding I do. It has 13/50 on it now though. Will I have chain guide issues if I go lower?

Jetting recomendations? I'll be riding around 800 feet above sea level. Bike has a fmf fatty and I plan on putting an FMF Q silencer on it.

I would like as much flat protection as possible from rear tire. Any problems with a tire larger then stock?

I have read that this bike has good low end already, and the brief ride I did on it felt good. I am going to do a top end anyway since I have no idea when it was last done. Anything I should do while in there to make it better? I plan to add FWW.

Any recomendations for getting the suspension done? Someone near Portland OR would be best but I'll go somewhere else if I will get better results.

Overall, is this a good woods bike if set up? I've thought about trading it in on a new 04 KTM 200SX I found for 3999 instead of dumping money into an older bike. Not sure it if the technollogy has improved that much to justify it though. I kind of suspect the old Honda suspenion is still at least as good as the latest WP stuff.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My '99 is well set up for tight woods. Got it from a multi-time D36 enduro and CC champion. Check out 'The Garage' tab at the top of the page to view a list of mods.

With the right setup, the bike is very good in the woods. Of course, if you want to make it match for the best new bikes, it is going to cost you some $. For flat protection, nothing is going to beat going to an 18" rear. I run a 110 width 18" and havent' had any trouble with flats.

As far as suspension, there are probably some local shops that could do a great job. Mine has Factory Connection and it is amazing (mine has conventional forks, though).

First gear is tall and you will need to slip the clutch for extreme situations, but the clutches are pretty tough and can take some abuse. Once you get the carb and flywheel weight dialed in, the stock 13/50 or 13/49 gears are workable even in very technical conditions. The advantage of 13/49 (which was stock on '97 CR250) is you can hold first and second just a little longer and occasionally avoid a shift in the nasty stuff.

If you have access to a stock '99 pipe, you might consider putting it back on for trails. It's a good unit.

Top Bottom