YZFan

Feb 9, 2013
Hello, this is my first post here. Im a long time dirt bike fan and have ridden various bikes from childhood to present day.

This is the first brand new bike ive ever owned. I know the YZ is unchanged from years past, but imho its still one of the best 250 two strokes ever made. race ready suspension right out of the box, strong snappy motor. its rare i get a bike that i dont want to hop up. the stock pipe is great, the stock reeds are good as well (carbon fiber) i thought about installing a v force 3, but for now im happy with the stock reed setup.

the only change im making is the rear tire. im going to install a irc m5b on the rear. i had one on my rm250 and i liked how good it hooked up. i also had it re sprung for my weight.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Cool! There is nothing like a brand new bike.Everything is nice and tight and clean. Do yourself a favor and re-grease all of the bearings-linkage, swingarm, steer head, kickstart swivel, brake pedal pivot...anything you can think of. They come with just enough grease to assemble it and you'll be replacing bearings shortly if you don't lube everything well.

It may seem like a pain in the butt but it's well worth it in the long run. Besides, everything is all clean so it's not that bad of a job :)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
You'll need to snug-up your spokes after each of the first few rides. Once they're seated (4-5 rides?)... you're good. Wobbly wheels, loose spokes, can ruin hubs.

Don't hesitate to change the gear oil often during your first few initial rides. After those first few rides I always change the fork oil too.

Check to make sure the air filter is oiled well, tacky, and that the OEM oil hasn't migrated to the bottom of the filter.

The YZ's an excellent bike, but the RM is sweeter. :p ;)

YZFan

Feb 9, 2013
thanks for the tips everyone!

i got to ride it some today with the new M5B on the rear, ... mega traction! it will stand up in a heart beat now lol

i am really loving the bike. i broke her in right as i wanted to do it all right with it being brand new.

my break in procedure for anyone thats interested

start it up, let it run till operating temperature, let it run for about 10 minutes, shut it off, let it cool completely.

start it up, let it run till hot, ride it around easy 30 to 45 minutes varying the throttle/rpms. first 10 to 15 minutes stay between closed throttle to 1/4 throttle , varying it a lot. do a lot coasting allowing engine breaking while it decelerates....

after 15 minutes keep doing the same thing, on occasion get to 1/2 throttle for brief moments, but not holding it.... again, decel.

when 30 to 45 minutes is up, park it, drain the case oil, refill, allow engine to completely cool.

start it up, warm it up, ride it in the same manner you did before, but gradually getting more on the throttle.... same steps as above but gas it a little more. get to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle , do a lot of engine braking, decel.

park it, let it cool completely.

start it up, warm it up, ride with a bit of gusto, after the 2 hour mark is gone, start getting in to it, .... after your past the 2 and a half hour mark do some hard riding, wide open throttle from time to time, allow it to engine break a lot as well. when done park it for the night.

the next day ride it for a couple hours like will normally ride the bike, when done, drain the oil.... refill and your done =D

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Enjoy!

YZFan

Feb 9, 2013
would a v force 3 reed cage/reeds be worth the price?

im happy with the pipe/silencer. ive hear a lot of people favor the v force over the stock setup

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
YZFan said:
would a v force 3 reed cage/reeds be worth the price?

im happy with the pipe/silencer. ive hear a lot of people favor the v force over the stock setup
Crisper response, better low-midrange power.

For $140, I was pleased with the results. Got about 200 hours out of the reeds.

The company that did my porting and head work (low-end for woods) said that in most cases the stock pipe works well. He said that most aftermarket pipes increse compression, if your YZ is flirting with a jetting ping already, maybe not a good idea. The company owner (well known) that told me this will remain nameless, since I'm sure he doesn't want FMF or Pro Curcuit angry with him.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Well that would be the first time that an exhaust pipe increase compression which is determinated by the squish and dome height of cylinder to head relation IMO.

Depending on how you ride I get a crisp response of the Boyesen Power reeds in a stock cage and those come at a fraction of cost. If you are riding more open and like to be mid range to WOT a Doma pipe or Dep pipe would be OK. Most of the other stock is doing a reasonable good job and over time you'll discover that pipes are a wear item. Having a few would be quite good.

YZFan

Feb 9, 2013
arnego2, did you have to do any jetting with the power reeds?

also, do you guys think a shorter silencer is worth trying in the future? i like to wind the gears out into the upper rpms so in a way i dont want to get rid of the stock silencer as its long and it pulls hard though the upper rpms. i have read online where folks say that the bike feels more snappy and light with a shorter silencer though. the stock one is LONG

YZFan

Feb 9, 2013
here is a pic

newbike1.jpg

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Looks like my 06 (but without the wear marks....)
I spent my money on suspension revalve. Total control suspension in Burlington NC. Worth every penny.

Dave

YZFan

Feb 9, 2013
i really love the bike! the only things ive done is to replace the radiator shrouds with aftermarkets, i put the stock ones away because id like to keep the graphics nice, i might put them back on years down the road. i had it re sprung for my weight, i wanted to try the stock valving first and as it turns out i really like it. sss suspension is nice! i also installed an IRC M5B 110/90/19 rear tire, a tm designs case saver, and maier pipe guard.

IMAG0787_zpsc7265d55.jpg

IMAG0788_zpse19cce8e.jpg

IMAG0789_zps059bbb42.jpg

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Jd

YZFan said:
arnego2, did you have to do any jetting with the power reeds?

The reeds will make jetting a tat richer so far I read. I also have a Vortex ignition, making jetting more difficult. I like to run mid to top range pipes and the richer I can get away with the better IMO. I run a pretty high premix ratio too. 20:1 is how I mix. Better for ring seal, bearings and of course you piston will love it too.

My jetting issues were fixed by the red needle, JD jetting really comes in highly recommended, :)

I run a r304 silencer with a PC pipe on one bike and a Doma system on the other. The silencer will stay a long time with you except you become a free styler and crash frequently :)

I'd stay with the pipe and be on look-out for Doma or DEP on ebay. With the Doma I was lucky and paid just US$ 150 for the complete system, pipe and silencer.

Top Bottom