Just got an 04 KDX220R - got a question

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
So, I want to follow the break in instuctions.
Says to let it idle for 15 minutes then shut off.

Problem is it won't hold idle unless I give it a little throttle? Is that normal on a new bike?

It also makes a small cloud of smoke, but I think that is normal with the 2 strokes. I have owned all four stokes for the last 12 years, and I can't remeber how much smoke is normal.

So, is it normal for the new engine to not hold idle? If so, fine. If not which way do I turn the idle screw to speed up idle? Clockwise right? I turned it in about 3.5 turns so far with no effect.

Thanks,
Phil

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Just in case the idle screw has a plastic head and the air screw is brass. You probably already know this though. Also they are jetted very rich from factory so reading the tech section here will help greatly. http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/ .. The bottom line is you must re-jet to get optimal performance and engine life from any bike.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Your dealer should have at the very least prepped the bike so that it would idle. Most likely an adjustment to the idle screw will allow it to idle. Once broken in and ridden a little, work on fine tuning with the air/fuel screw and jetting.

Read the KDX FAQ in this forum. Good luck!

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Yes, I know it's the plastic one (saw that in the manual that came with the bike).
It does not say though weather to turn it clockwise or counter clockwise to increase idle speed.

And I can not find any section in the tech section that anwers any of my questions.

Thanks,
Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Thanks. Weird I turned it like 3+ turns cclockwise with no change yet.

Is it normal for it not to be able to hold idle when brand new?
Liek friction in the rings causeing it or something?

Phil

djr

Apr 22, 2002
Yes it is tough to get a slow idle on 2 strokes. We have an 2000 220 and they are great tight woods or general riding bikes. Breakin 15 minute idles are ok but not essential for trail bikes. Start it and warm up idle (with blipping the throttle gently if needed) for 3 minutes then gentle ride it for 15 minutes. Let it completely cool and physically check everything on the bike, repeat for 20 minute ride. Then it is ready to ride but try not to overload the engine for a couple of hours of riding.

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
1ton

Good to see another KDX'er from Ottawa. You'll find that your jetting is way too rich.

In this cold weather I think you'll find that it will be tougher to get your bike started.

First thing you can do is take the snorkel out of air filter lid and maybe raise the clip on the needle to the 2nd notch. That should help in the short term. But read the info on jetting and follow it when the weather gets better. Go to the dealer and get some leaner main and pilot jets.

Good Luck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The reason it doesn't likely idle is that it's already got a fouled up plug.

As rich as they come off the showroom floor, I'd be surprised if it could idle for fifteen minutes.

Besides, what's it doing while idling? Sitting there? So...airflow comes from...where? The fans? :smirk:

1. I don't know that the manual says that.
2. If it did, I wouldn't do it!!

Follow EG's advice on break-in. Don't let it get too hot (like running it for fifteen minutes just sitting there). Go through several warm-up/cool-down cycles. Vary the rpm/vary the load (oops! Another thing against idling it for fifteen minutes!). Don't pin the thing right off. Ride it on something loose (as opposed to pavement) so there's some 'give'.

Don't turn the idle screw in unless you raise the slide with the throttle. You'll gall the screw tip.

As long as you're 'following the instructions', are you going to tear it down for inspection after break-in? Then you will want to be replacing the faulty 220 piston at the same time. Whether you like wiseco or not, it's the choice over pro-x on the 220.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I do intend too take it out for inspection but wan't planning on replacing it if it looks ok?

Phil

hog

Nov 13, 2001
04 220R breakin

I purchased a 04 220r in February and mine would not idle when I took it off the truck after I got home. What I did was.
- Fill the tank with fresh premixed gas/oil at 32:1 castrol tts
- OPen up the airbox
- Run thru the break in procedure in the manual
Then it ran great. I have never touched the idle screw or jetting (yet).
- Took if for a 50 mile trail ride.
- Replaced the piston with a wiseco (4 hour job for me)
- Put on a FMF KG35 torque pipe
- Rode another 100 miles and I am still smiling. This is way better that the DR350 it replaced.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Do some looking around this forum.

If you are going to the trouble of actually taking the thing out...leave it out.

Replace it with something NOT a pro-x.

The rule of thumb that only the highly modified 220s shatter the oem piston is prevalent...except for the exceptions to that rule: The guys with pretty much bone stock 220s that did the same thing.

No, I don't own one. But I've read of plenty of riders that have been bit by the 220 piston bug. It's up to you. A shattered skirt can take out the whole bottom end! Now there's a happy thought!!! :think:

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
canyncarvr said:
Don't turn the idle screw in unless you raise the slide with the throttle. You'll gall the screw tip.

Ooops, I allready did :ohmy:

Should I take the screw out and examine it for damage? Need to check anything else?

Thanks,
Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004

So what piston should I get for a stock motor?
What do they cost?

Phil

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Wiseco is the normal choice. Couldn't tell you the cost..I've not bought one. <$100. But there's also rings, rod bearing, wrist pin, clips and gaskets.

The kdx has several different alpha designations that indicate slight changes in production. An a,b,c or d (they have e and f, too) will be stamped ON the cylinder and the head. THAT is the pro-x piston size you should use.

But..with wiseco, it doesn't matter because you don't have that choice. The different alpha's vary only .01mm from letter to letter....it's not a make-or-break deal.

Changing your idle once without raising the slide isn't like to be a big deal. Doing it ALL the time will get you a goobered screw (that's a technical term! ;) )

As far as 'anything else', you've read thru CDave's new bike prep? You need to grease the suspension and steering stem bearings immediately. Don't and you will be replacing those bearings in short order.

Check his site linked at the top of this forum in the 'every kdx...should read' thread.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
So you are saying that I should order a wiseco piston, and I should do it right away. BUT you are saying there is no way to tell which piston I need until I take the motor apart?

Does that ever suck. Going to be a week of downtime while I take it apart, then wait for parts, then reassemble. And all this in the first week of spring 8-(

Phil

hog

Nov 13, 2001
which piston?

Your bike is brand new like mine. I just ordered the stock size wiseco for the 220r. (Wiseco is what Fredette recommends for the 220r) It comes with piston, rings, wristpin and circlips. I re-used the stock wristpin bearing. You will also need a topend gasket set ( used cometic) and some two stroke lube. My vendor of choice is www.midwestaction cycle. 81.50 for the piston kit, 29.99 for the gaskets. Free shipping. you will also need to replace the coolant and change the transmission oil when you are done.
1 qt castrol activo for the tranny and just over one qt of honda pro cool for the cooling system. Then about 4 hours and the kawasaki manual.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Cool. Thanks Guys.
Wiseco piston kit and gaskets ordered.
kawi FSM and supplement ordered.

Phil

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
To answer the question, no. That's not what I'm saying. That's why I said,
But..with wiseco, it doesn't matter because you don't have that choice.

Wiseco makes one size for the 'standard' 220. You do not have to wonder about which size to get.

But...seems you already figgered that.

Lots of 220 riders don't worry about it (piston replacement). Many of them haven't had any problems. Some have. It it happens to YOU, it has happened 100% of the time in your situation.

Want to deal with that?

Better safe than sorry seems to be a good idea in this case. Certainly it's up to the individual 220 rider.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…