moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Well it is just too cold to do anything else - so I decided one more winter project would pass the time.

Last night I thought I had won a set of XR springs on Ebay - but someone outbid me at the last second (probably a fellow JustKDXer).

Anyway - I found the OEM springs new for $76 a pair - and from all the chatter and threads - they seem to be the way to go. Should be here by the weekend.

Trying to summarize the 100 threads on the forks seems to come to a consesus that the space from top of the spring to the cap is about 2-4 mm. To get about 10mm compression (seems to be the center of consensus) I would need a spacer of 12-14mm. Seems to make sense.

While off - will change the fork oil. Measured collapsed with no springs - this runs the gammit from 95 to 120 mm - with many folks stating 100 is ideal.

So in summary - I plan on using 13mm spacer (about 11mm compression). Mobil 1 ATF at 110 mm from the top.

Seems to be right down the middle of all the threads. Anyone running this identical setup on their 200?

sn

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If my memory serves correctly, The only thing incorrect is that the spring distance from the cap is further than 2-4 mm. I remember it being something like 20 mm, but you can measure it. Then the discussion comes as to how much preload that you want. That is how far to compress the spring at rest. Many (including me) opted for 10mm compression--latest trend is for only 3mm of compression. Your choice of anything in that area. Again if I remember correctly your total spacer length should be something like 1.25" to 1.5". You will enjoy the results and it will keep you from getting hurt!

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I always find being a centrist on what works for the majority - well works pretty good.

I will go with 7mm of preload.

Eveyone mentions schedule 40 PVC - since I know nothing about PVC - is a specific type - or does this include the diameter? I was thinking this specified the thickness of the plastic - and I just find the closest diameter to the stock tube without going over.

sn

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Schedule 40 has to do with the wall thickness, ie pressure it will take in usual water uses. I believe 1" is the proper size of schedule 40 pvc pipe. Just measure the outside diameter one size of schedule 40 is just right. I hope that you do not have to buy a 10 or 20 ft length. Try to find a scrap somewhere! Remember you are not going to need but less than 3" total.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Schedule 40 is twice (or so) the thickness of the puny 200psi junk. It's your common everyday poly pipe used in plumbing where stuff like galvanized and copper is not required.

Use 1".

re: the centrist idea.

Not a good one. That puts you nowhere when it comes to what works best for YOU!

re: spacer length

It matters not what some other installation was. It matters only what YOURS is (another vote against a centrist point of view). Not all the springs are the same length for one thing.

FWIW, my spacer length for a 3mm preload (using one washer) is 4mm. My springs are 532mm (and they WERE 532mm when I put them in, too! One of the reasons to use a hot-wound spring).

My bike worked much better with a 110mm level than the 100mm I started with. That's all a matter of personal choice, though.

Got your spring-holder tool sorted out? ;)

Another FWIW...I'm honored to be in the same league as mr. kdxfreestyle when it comes to information and having the slightest clue.

Oh yeah!

Last edited:

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Moridin
I just replaced my fork springs with the XR-400's. 10 mm preload, Ford ATF (same as in my tranny) at 100 mm. Sag 100R/55F (I think-I'm at work, notes at home)

I've ridden 2 H/S with the set up-first was so slow and muddy I couldn't tell if it helped or not. Second H/S-in practice the front seemed to slide instead of turn (push ?) sometimes so I decreased the pre-load on the rear shock one full turn (and haven't re-checked my sag since). It was a tight course, lots of mud and sand. I had my best ever finish, beating guys that always beat me. Definite improvement!

What I'm pleased most about though is that I was able to identify a symptom and make a change to improve things. I'm just starting to get into suspension. Now watch someone who knows suspension tell me I did the adjustment backwards:).

I keep reading this forum-something must be sticking! Thanks folks.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Heck - I thought that was cheap. I checked a couple Honda dealers - but they were $120 locally.

Ton Ayers seems to always be 30% lower than everyone else. Never spoke with a person. Used them several times now. Just order online - and in 3-4 days - parts show up.

I think the guy selling the XR springs on ebay was stunned anyone would want some stock springs.

I ALMOST got the FRP springs - I would really like my money to go to a man who really enjoys this stuff like we do - but it seemed that the XR springs just had the FRP beat all around.

sn

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
So moridin, it was you I was bidding against. I dropped out once the total cost came within $25 of what FRP sell them for. FRP sells KDX fork springs for $59 plus shipping.

Based on body weight, type of riding, personal preferences, what rate springs is everyone running? I aks because FRP suggests .38kg/mm spring for my weight, style and race tech suggest .41kg/mm with the same criteria.

Has anyone used the race tech gold valves?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Moridin,

Just curious what year is your 200? And where did you find those springs for $76, thats way cheaper than i've been seeing them.

-Maurice

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Springs are from Ron Ayers:

http://www.ronayers.com/

They sell both Kaw and Hon parts - and from what I can tell - they are usually 30% off the listed "retail" - sometimes more.

Cheap shipping too.

I had a few other little parts to order - so I figured I would throw the springs in.

They seem to get parts quite quickly - I have ordered some odd stuff (things a dealer would not normally stock) and still had it at my door in 5 business days.

Sean

Oh - my bike is a 2001.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
1" pvc is just under 1 3/8" diameter. 3/4" pvc is just under 1 1/8" diameter. 1/2" pvc is just under 7/8" diameter (all measurements OD). These measurements hold true for pvc, abs, black iron pipe (gas), and galvanized pipe, as well as some others. Thickening the wall of the pipe (ie. sch. 40, etc.) just reduces the inside diameter.

I just installed Eibach 43kg springs for XR400. I'm 230lbs. It took 38mm spacers to make 5mm of preload. I haven't riden it yet since I also shipped my forks and shock off to FRP for Gold valves and shock revalve. Ride report to follow (soon, I hope).

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
Hey Moridan I'm the low down stink'n racal that outbid you on E-Bay last night!! What a surprise reading your thread tonight! Sorry, it is upsetting.... The most recent for me for me was a couple days after Christmas, guess what? XR400 springs! Actually, yesterday was the third time I've bid on XR400 springs and finally won. Stay after it on E-Bay there are deals to be had in the winter. Check out chains and sprockets! Good Luck & Good Riding....KDXDave

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
Moridin,
I am looking at improving my suspension also with the XR400 springs. I am wondering if you have already had your forks re-valved? Do you have to have the valving to make the XR400 springs work or do they just work better with the valving? I do not have the cash for the works but I can spare the money to have a better ride.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
The XR-400 springs make a noticeable (ie BIG) improvement with absolutely nothing else done to the forks. Springs and a new tire and you will not believe the difference for about $100. At very least will save you that much in medical bills.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I am doing exactly what John stated - stock valving with the new XR400 springs. Fresh oil, fresh tire and from a few emails I have receievd - the differences are night and day.

I have a 3 day weekend - so may get this going if the magic brown truck comes by my house.

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
It looks like it is time to get the magic brown truck to come to my house also. I have the engine down right now to have the cylinder replated and the crank rebuilt. Why not go ahead and have the forks done also.

Thanks for helping me put my money to good use.

Top Bottom