traider

Aug 12, 2003
I'm new to the forum, especially the 2 stroke area. I've been riding a CRF250 and CFR450 for the past two years. I just picked up a CR500AF from Service Honda and was hoping to get some pointers from the guys that have expirence with them.

First of all it is the most fun bike I have been on! It took a little getting used to coming off my 450. Since I have no expirence with the 500, I don't know what is normal and what is not.

Anyone that could help me with a few basic questions or give me some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I got the starting down after reading this forum.

It seems to smoke a little when I first start it and warm it up, then It clears up. It a little rough until the rpms are up and it seems to pull really hard. I'm not used to shifting so low compared to my 4 strokes but when I do it just keeps pulling. Are these supposed to be shifted mid rpms and use the torgue?

Is it normal to be a little flat until the rpms come up? I'm guessing these don't rev like normal 2 strokes either.

I mainly ride on MX tracks with my bikes and am an intermeadiate rider. I know I will not be riding the bike anywhere close to it's potential, I'm riding it for fun and to be something different. Would the plug heat range and jetting that came in it be fine for mild riding on a MX track? It has the Pro Circuit pipe, everything else is stock. I'm looking forward to riding it at Sunset Ridge where I can have some room to get it moving.

I thought I should change the plug after I initailly rode it for a while. I looked on the Service Honda site and it says to use a BR8EG. The bike has a BR8ECM which is shorter. It looks like a BR8EG would hit the gas tank.

A few coments on the workmanship. I think everything was put together very nicely. It really looks like it came right from Honda. Maybe the only thing I was a little dissapointed in was the airbox. It just does not have the perfect look as everything else does. I know it was tight to get everything lined up and I understand there is only so much you can do with it.

After taking it around the MX track a few times I started getting used to it and it felt great. I was amazed when I hit a few tables. I thought I was taking it very easy but then surprised where I was landing. It is very decieving how fast you are moving. It also feels just as comfortable as my CRF250 and I really don't notice it feeling any heavier. When you go through some loose or muddy areas it is amazing. I thought the 450 had power!

Like I said, I'm just getting started and will be keeping an eye on this forum hoping to find some helpfull suggestions.

SV

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
2 strokes generally smoke when they are first flashed up. As the engine gets hotter when it is warmed up, then enough heat is generated to more completely burn the oil mixed in with the gas. Two strokes are also designed to make the most power at a specific point called the power band. At low RPM's the engine will fell rough, this is normal, as you approach power band, the rev's smooth out and you feel a surge of power. As far as I know, there is no dirt bike that makes as much power as the current 500cc 2 stroke. I hear this thing is equivalent to a 750cc sport bike. As far as shifting goes, it's a 2 stroke, shift whenever you feel ready. Rev it to the moon if you like, but for god's sake hang on 'cause you are most likely going to flip over. Torque must be incredible, I can imagine. I have never ridden the 500's but my interest is peaked reading your comments.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
At least on my KX500, there's no need to wring it's neck to make rideable power. The best advice I got was to ride a gear higher than you'd think.

The smoke at start up is normal. The premix that was in the crankcase is mostly oil since the gasoline would evaporate while the bike isn't running. So at initial start up for the day, there's a lot more oil so hence the smoke.

But most of all ENJOY that baby!

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Congrates on the new bike!

I too have one. They come rich from Service Honda for reliabilty reasons.

If you are at less than 1000' use a 170 main jet and one size down on the pilot, I forget what it comes with. Set the air screw at 1.5 - 2.0 for starters, I will assume that you know how to adjust. I have the leaner needle but left the stock one in at the stock setting. The leaner idle circuit will fire the bike off just fine in one or two kicks and the low end will be cleaner and build revs faster. As rich as my bike came it was a bitch to start.

I run the BP7ES as per Eric Gorrs recommendation. Since my bike is used for MX only it is on and off the gas and the hotter plug stays clean and the projected tip gets down into the head for better flame travel. It will not hit the fuel tank.

If running fire roads or sand dunes you may consider a 172 main.

I also use Amsoil Dommenator oil at 50:1. Any good quailty synthetic oil without bean oil will be fine. Bean oil is a great lube but it likes high RPM. If your running 32:1 or 40:1 keep in mind that they are actually leaner fuel/air than 50:1 and your jetting will vary.

Have fun,

Mark

Top Bottom